Thunderbird Revival (big pics)

snakesm13

Let me start by saying its been a while.... I've been on and off these forums since 4 years ago when i purchased my 89 SC. In 2006 the HG took a crap had a shop fix it since i couldn't being in college away from home and apt wont let you do repairs in the Parking lot. Got it back and a couple months later i was getting blowby out of the oil dipstick. I was pissed but had to send the T-Bird home to sit until i could work on it myself. here i am and the car has been sitting for 2 years now..

So I got done with work early on friday and got an itch for messing with the thunderbird. Pictures say most of it.
Thunderbird%20Project%20006.jpg

This is what it looked like when i started....

And this is what it looked like afterwards.... In no particular Order

Thunderbird%20Project%20011.jpg

Thunderbird%20Project%20013.jpg

Thunderbird%20Project%20014.jpg

Thunderbird%20Project%20016.jpg

Thunderbird%20Project%20018.jpg

Thunderbird%20Project%20052.jpg

Thunderbird%20Project%20059.jpg

Had to throw everything in the trunk cause sister's dogs will chew em up.
Gas tank is removed in order to get the drive shaft out of the tranny and because will be putting new fuel pump in also.
I know ive just got started and have a long way to go but at least a bolt has been turned on it and thats a start.

Also the last time the HG's blew, i had a shop down here in portland replace them since i couldn't being up in waco and going to school so i paid them.... well come to find out while taking it apart, most of the hard to reach bolts were only hand-tight and some nuts were even missing, like on the throttle body there were only 3 nuts and should have been 4. the spark plug wires were labeled wrong (not sure if they were installed wrong but i know they were labeled wrong). But moral of the story is DIY dont trust a shop!! pisses me off because im sure the engine is in the shape it is now had something to do with them. :banghead:
Update to come next time i work on it
sorry they aren't they best pics taken with iPhone though.

This is my first time ever to pull an engine, granted ive pulled the tranny on this twice, one for clutch and one to replace the tranny. So i do know how to turn a wrench and learn very fast and from mistakes. I would like any comments or advice or links to write-ups or suggested replacement parts. I do know how to use the search feature and will be utilizing it but feel free to throw anything at me.

My Plans: I would like to pull the engine and see what kind of damage is done (rings, HG's, ect.) and would like to take my time and replace anything that will most likely wear out soon and replace it with equal or better than stock parts.
Update to come next time i work on the car.
and thank you ahead of time for any posts.

nice start!
When do you think you will be tackling some of it again??
And where are you located?
What did you take in college?

-Tony

nice start!
When do you think you will be tackling some of it again??
And where are you located?
What did you take in college?

-Tony

I hope to get back at it next weekend depending on work.
I am in Portland, TX a town right outside of Corpus Christi.
I went to Texas State Technical College and graduated with a degree in computer maintenance. But i am working as an Automation programer and electrical instrumentation engineer which I enjoy a lot more than computers but I do computer work on the side so I can have money for my cars :D

Back