Another loose stock rocker thread

f1rocco

Yup...Another one....

Got my heads checked and decked .003 new springs pushrods regrind cam lifters and chain and tensioner matched set........When I took the rockers off they definetly had more then 25lbs of torque to them.......They were not noisy before the swap...Now they are....I can probably tigten them up but my guess is probably 80 foot lbs......I dont wanna go there....

Ive done cams before with stock rockers never had a problem....

Anyone figure out why...Since their problems..

F1

I'll 2nd the longer pushrods, the rockers only need 20 or so ftlbs. of torque to hold the bolt in place after the proper lifter preload has been established.

I think I figured it out.......

No AA batteries with the ability to run my camera though.....

At first I was thinking the bolt was bottoming out for some reason in the head and not allowing the rocker and center piece to bolt down on the head pedestal....

So I tried it without the rocker...I just bolted the center half moon piece to the head...Perfect 20 lbs locks it down.....

Then I measured the center piece to see if one side fits better or is wider then the other...It looks ok but I still think one side might be about a 32nd longer ...Dont have a set of mics here to check...

But then I noticed that these original center pieces have a tip on either side which appears to keep the rocker rockin straight...Mine Im not sure but mine has a 1/16th of an inch gap...Not sure how much of this is from wear.....

Also noticed with the rocker off with the center piece it snaps in for a tighter fit when 1 side is touching(Center piece tip touching to inner rocker side)...If the center piece is centered in the rocker it most likely snap in place and be off torque as soon as the motor gets put under load...Then the push rod pushes up the rocker at a slight angle until it backs out the bolt and the push rod makes it through....

Looks like the years and mileage has worn each inner rocker and caused wear on one side more then the other.... I centered mine when installing...So Im guessing thats how they came loose...Oh and one push rod came out...I checked the rod on a piece of glass and appears to be straight by my eye.....

So what ya think.....Id love to see a pic of a new centerpiece and the inners of someone elses used rockers...

f1

Do I need upgraded rockers with a 491 lift cam....

Im searching to buy new rockers and try that first..Id rather just go stock for now since my motor just got back together..Looks like my pushrods are 7.250....Ive got new springs not sure if they are stronger then stock...

The rockers should have went back on in the same mount they were removed from. 7.250 pushrods are longer than the stock ones (7.136), did you change them?

I bought a kit for my car...Came with Camshaft/springs/lifters and push rods....

This was what was said I needed for my car...

F1

I got my buddy looking for 1.8 rockers.....But most likely today Im just gonna order some Clevite replacements....1.73

F1

I tightened the rockers back up...A few still have side to side play..Torque wont cure it....Seems like its the fulcrum and rocker that is worn....But I was able to get it secure......The rocker must have been an issue since I got it running because today It ran like a monster....WoW

I also torqued the I/C tubes down differently....So I might have had a leak before....But whatever I did today was amazing....

Thing spun the tires getting into it and then again when it hit the power band....Never did that before....

Back