stalls when hot

spetz01

My car has lots of the add on's, full tune, all that jazz, The only insecurity I have now, and this is since I had it tuned, is stalling when I come to a stop.

She's a five speed, and it happens only at red lights when I stop an my foot can't quite make it to the gas pedal in time to feather some fuel into her. If I can catch it, she'll idle no problem. Since the rebuid, the only sensor I didn't replace was the AIC...is it time?

Scan the car for codes and fix any problems until all codes are gone. Otherwise you'll be chasing your tail. Also, fix any vacuum leaks or the idle will never be right.

If that doesn't fix, contine reading.

If your talking about the IAC that's a possibility. I've had problems with IAC out of the box. Get one from MotorCraft because they seem to be the right ones. I've tried one from A/C delco and it never work right and it was a direct replacment. It caused a high idle problem. Once I replace it with an OEM, the problem went away.

What year is the car?

The throttle body on the later modles were slightly different. I got both a 90 and a 95 and the 95 included an adjustment under the rubber cap on top of it. There's a procedure to do it which isn't included with the code scanner manual.

Procedure
STEP 1
Activate engine running Self-Test.

STEP 2
After diagnostic trouble code 11 or 111 has been displayed, unlatch and within 4 seconds latch the STI button.

STEP 3
A single pulse code indicates the entry mode, then observe the Self-Test Output (STO) of the STAR tester in Step 4. If adjustment is required in Step 4, ensure all other causes have been addressed and corrected before continuing.

STEP 4

A constant tone, solid light or "STO LO" readout means base idle rpm is within range. To exit test, unlatch STI button, then wait 4 seconds for reinitialization (after 10 minutes it will exit by itself).
Beeping tone, flashing light, or "STO LO" readout at (8 Hz) indicates Throttle Position (TP) sensor is out of range due to over adjustment; adjustment may be required.
Beeping tone, flashing light, or "STO LO" readout at (4 Hz) indicates base idle rpm is too fast, adjustment is required, go to Step 6.
Beeping tone, flashing light, or "STO LO" readout at (1 Hz) indicates base idle is too low, adjustment is required, go to Step 5.
STEP 5
Do not clean the throttle body turn the air trim screw counterclockwise until conditions in Step 4a are satisfied. Process completed.

STEP 6
Do not clean the throttle body, turn the air trim screw clockwise until conditions in Step 4a are satisfied.

Back