Should I buy?

T-bird Tim

My friend has a black 97 Cobra, 5-speed, bone stock with 120k on it. It has zero mechanical problems. The only thing it needs is a new paint job. lt has the typical Ford clear coat problems. The interior is also excellent. He wants $5k for it because he wants to buy a camaro ss. Should I get it if it means selling the SC?

Keep The Super Coupe

The Ruststangs are a dine a dozen, even if it is corba. I have been helping my friend try to find out for a while now, and he is just too damn picky. We have seen hundreds of these things. And I mean 100's. If it were me, (and I have a 1991 Sc, 1997 Lincoln Town Car, 1985 Jaguat XJ6, 1974 olds cutlass) I would keep the SC. The only reason I wouldn't keep it is if it has a lot of problems. In time, these cars will be worth something. And if nothing else just think of all the time effort money and cussing you and the SC have been through. A Super Coupe stands out, I can walk a mile down the road and see 3 mustangs in under an hour. But that is just me, I might be right or wrong. I am just telling you what I would do IF IT WERE MY CHOICE, but it is your money, your cars.
Matt:eek:

Myself in NY.....

I wont buy a vehicle to mod thats 95 or newer with the OBD2.....I dont want a check engine light preventing me from getting an inspection.....

Id rather mod a 94 and older car to the hill....I had a buddy with the OBD2 that cost him almost $1000 to fix due to a check engine light on a Nissan Path Finder....Problem was the C/E bulb was blown and it threw the tech off during scanning...Then he had to have the dash ripped apart in order to fix it...

F1

Since this is a SC websight, I think you will get biased answers about buying Mustangs and seling yours to make the purchase! And vice-versa.

It's all about what you like. Whether a car is a dime a dozen or not, that shouldn't influence your decision on buying a car. I like my supercoupe because it is different which attracts me. If originality didn't attract my attention I would have a 10 second lethal mustang instead of a smooth riding, sleeper thunderbird. I have a buick that is a dime a dozen car and the longest running, smoothest, comfortable grandpa car I have ever owned and I could care less if there are 10 million of them running around. Mine is still better then anyone elses as far as I'm concerned, because its mine!:)

The Cobra is not exactly the most common car around but my opinion would be to at least find one in nice shape. Paint work is expensive.

Chris

Thats not a bad price if the mecahnicals are all good... Drive it and see if you like it! If its just you no kids it would be a nice DD. A cobra will murder an SC unless you have ALOT done to the SC Think of it this way at its current power level you can beat the crap out of it and it will stay together and be cheap to fix if you do brake somthing. Milleage about the same they both require premium... A GT i wouldnt go for selling my sc over.... A cobra i wouldnt have a second thought about it.

Funny, the people on here are the foremost SC fans, and we all hope they will appreciate in value someday, not necessarily to sell them, but....And when someone is trying to sell one, you see thread after thread of a seller lowering price, or getting chewed down...or told their car is worth $1000 because it needs so much work. Wouldn't we be the audience in future years paying/selling for top dollar as a collectible? I doubt anyone else will, that never experienced one of these crs in their hey-day.

My Cobra can do things my SC can't do...and as newer cars come out, they will undoubtedly be better performers. I still have my '86 GT convertible, but it's funny, how the 302 had 200HP, and today a Ford Excape has the same HP. I love my GT, and will NEVER part with it. Just turned 54k miles. There is an unmeasurable loyalty, and $$ amount we put on cars. My freinds say I should sell the three cars and get a new GT500...sure it will outperform everything I own by far, but then I wouldn't have 3 toys, just one, and nothing to fix! Older cars get under your skin. It's all personal preference. The same basic formula probably applies to value in the future....Low mileage and rarity.

It's really just your opinion. I think most of the SC owners here have an SC because of its rarity. You do see tons of mustangs on the road, and I've seen 2 SC's in the past year and a half. I like to think, what's more fun? Whooping someone in a 4000 pound car, or just be another cobra :p It's all up to you though.

I agree....that's why I never sell anything! It takes a wreck for me to get rid of a car, no jinx.....My problem is that I don't drive them enough. My '01 Cobra just ticked over 14k miles. it's a shame ford didn't number the SC's like they did for the Cobra's complete with certificates saying one of x total....and handbuilt motors with signature plaques. I've now had 5 SC's and everytime there is a lul, I find my way back, can't stand being w/o one. Of the five, only one was sold...3 wrecks....UGH

And yes, I get more satisfaction beating someone in my SC or GT over the Cobra.

Last edited:
put the money in the SC make it as fast as a corba. it's a lot more fun spanking someone in a V6. IMO

The Cobra is an absolute blast to drive. Would I sell anyone of my SC's to buy one.....No..Otherwise Id be driving a CObra already

I do love my SC but I have owned eight of them and they are very expensive to make fast. As far as the looks, ride quality, and rarity, I like the SC. I just want something that is fast already, sounds great and doesnt have the same issues that I always see, ie.. head gaskets, brakes (89-92), synchros. You do see alot of mustangs but most are v-6 and GT models, not too many cobras. I'm not dead set on it yet but am giving it heavy consideration. As previously mentioned though, as nice as my SC is no one would want to pay what I would ask for it. I'm sure there arent too many that are much nicer.

I do love my SC but I have owned eight of them and they are very expensive to make fast. As far as the looks, ride quality, and rarity, I like the SC. I just want something that is fast already, sounds great and doesnt have the same issues that I always see, ie.. head gaskets, brakes (89-92), synchros. You do see alot of mustangs but most are v-6 and GT models, not too many cobras. I'm not dead set on it yet but am giving it heavy consideration. As previously mentioned though, as nice as my SC is no one would want to pay what I would ask for it. I'm sure there arent too many that are much nicer.

Then go for it! i almost bought a mint canary 98 cobra but it was sold before i could get my s*** together! those cars are great! they are fun fast and sound good.. They are also not all that common. I hate to admit it but I dont even like driving the sc anymore after driving my gt farty exhaust and an automatic stink compared to a 5speed and a v8 with flowmasters. Its much cheaper to operated as a daily driver I've abused it more in one day than i ever abused the SC and have yet to brake anything or have any failures other than the factory plastic intake which was a problem on all 2v 4.6's for awhile.. I literaly have ran a tank of gas through it shifting it at 6000rpm in every gear and didnt as much as use any oil... Id be downright scared to do that in my SC for one i know what a mother it is to yank the engine and ireally dont think it would hold up to it even though its got a new motor in it. The SC is much better for long trips, hauling the family around etc and has alot more ballz from a roll.. It also feels alot better at 90+ than the mustang.. But its rare its expensive to drive and expensive to fix so it doesents get drove much... If you drive at night (i do allthe time 2nd shift) you have to worry about deer (i see a dozen or so a night on my way home anymore) ive already mannaged to clip one with the mustang and i didnt really care it put a little scratch in it and i went on.. the sc on the other hand id have been really ticked... My old DD was a 98 integra so i basicly just got the mustang to drive back and forth to work.. Much more fun whee i went from 30 mpgs to 27mpg and went from a 1.8 to 4.6 not a bad trade off.. cheaper insurance too.. Id try to keep the SC and get the cobra go run the crap out of it and have a good time doing it.. If not id probably still get the dam thing.. I'd trade mine for a cobra anyday. At least i know if i mod a cobra it will go faster not slower like my sc has..

Back