PDA

View Full Version : Intercooler chat: air/air vs. liquid/air

DougD
04-30-2008, 09:02 PM
Having two supercharged cars, one with air/air and the other with liquid/air, I was wondering if someone could give me a short course on the pros and cons of each. Is one type inherently better or ???

Just curious and trying to learn a thing or two.

Cheers
DD

Mike8675309
04-30-2008, 09:08 PM
For the strip, liquid is a clear winner as you can pack the thing with ice allowing the intake air charge to even be below ambient air temp. It is important to size a liquid/air system carefully as it is easy to be too small. Liquid / air systems are also much more complex leaving more room for failure.

Air/Air systems are going to be great for a road track and daily driving. A high efficiency and capacity air/air intercooler will provide nice temp drops (no lower than ambient air temp). Air to air is much less complex. Down side would be that often packaging calls for it to be in front of the radiator, which in some cases can raise coolant temperatures.

mannysc
04-30-2008, 09:21 PM
I made a liquis to air that i swear by it has a water tank in trunk i ran aac line to it it keeps water at 40 deg f when you floor it the sc turns off so it sont take hp from you at track but it does cost more driving with ac on all the time i never made a bypass to run water thru a radiator but it can be done maybe this summer ill finish the damn thing and show it off.

its for my inverted blower setup so i dont know about regular sc setup an how it would work

nwnsc
05-01-2008, 02:02 AM
I made a liquis to air that i swear by it has a water tank in trunk i ran aac line to it it keeps water at 40 deg f when you floor it the sc turns off so it sont take hp from you at track but it does cost more driving with ac on all the time i never made a bypass to run water thru a radiator but it can be done maybe this summer ill finish the damn thing and show it off.

its for my inverted blower setup so i dont know about regular sc setup an how it would work
now thats cool, can u fill it with ice also. that would drop it down in the 30s or lower. sucking on ice:eek:burr!!

mannysc
05-01-2008, 02:36 AM
I had it with ice at first but later went with ac unit

nwnsc
05-01-2008, 03:31 AM
just saying if you did both you would be below frezing. literaly sucking on ice. thats just too cool!:cool: any thing you don't think of? ;)

DougD
05-01-2008, 10:53 PM
Thanks, guys

DD

XxSlowpokexX
05-02-2008, 12:29 AM
Doug...For the Jag I highly reccomend upgrading the Heat exchanger

I used this same one on my old jag a few years back

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-Liquid-Heat-Exchanger-for-Intercooler-Turbo-N-R_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33742QQihZ020QQitemZ3 00219123238QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Unsure what the 95's have ut it worked super good in my 99

DougD
05-02-2008, 12:49 AM
Doug...For the Jag I highly reccomend upgrading the Heat exchanger

I used this same one on my old jag a few years back

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-Liquid-Heat-Exchanger-for-Intercooler-Turbo-N-R_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33742QQihZ020QQitemZ3 00219123238QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Unsure what the 95's have ut it worked super good in my 99

Its on my list :) One project at a time. This T-Bird is bleeding me dry....and it still won't be as fast as my Jag !

Ah well. Not complaining. I'm having fun with this old SC ...and it has a gear-grabber :D

Cheers
DD

XxSlowpokexX
05-02-2008, 10:27 AM
Oh and if I had a 95 jag....Id be seeing just how hard it be to convert to an MPX :O)...Thats just me of course

DougD
05-03-2008, 10:09 AM
Oh and if I had a 95 jag....Id be seeing just how hard it be to convert to an MPX :O)...Thats just me of course

I know of one guy with a 6-cyl/M90 Jag who installed a M112 from a V8 Jag. But that was a lot of work.

The 6-cyl/M90 Jags are a little rare (6500 made) with little owner interest for mods, and therefore almost no aftermarket support. I'll eventually get a better intercooler but not sure of anything beyond that. I'm a little worried about cobbling up an awfully nice piece of machinery :)

Besides, after I'm done with this T-Bird I won't have the money or energy for anything else for quite some time :D

Cheers
DD

XxSlowpokexX
05-05-2008, 12:35 AM
I actually almost bought one of the m90 equiped Jags just to see what I can do. That motor is super strong and can take the abuse..Unsure tuning wise however what ya can do..I'd never go m112....I'd just jump to a whippel or AR....one day maybe....