Fan doesn't work unless...

None2Slow

I pull of the connector to the ECT. The fan comes on then. It aslo doesn't come on when I turn the A/C on either. The A/C may be low and not allowing the clutch to engage and I bled the cooling system. I just put in a new radiator and don't want to risk loosing the HG cause of this. Any ideas of where to look for repairs. And I would rather not cut wires or add after market controllers to the car just yet.

It sounds like your IRCM is working ok if it comes on with unplugging the ECT sensor. You may have some air in the coolant system that needs to be worked out. Its also possible the ECT sensor itself is toast.

Frit

None2Slow>Is there a way to test the ECT sensor? Also, I have a check engine light on. How do you pull codes ?

What year is your car?

ECT sensor checking & all you need to know about codes in the links list on the right hand side after the jump... You'll need a volt meter.

SC specific 2- & 3-digit code listing here.

Ken

Last edited:
I have a 92SC with auto. The car runs good, but I think my mounts are bad. I also just converted the ABS to conventional brakes. Thanks for the links. What pins do I jump to retrieve codes.

If you unplug the ECT sensor that will make the check engine light come on. I heard that it's not good to run the car with it unplugged. I have these same symptoms in my car. I ended up just wiring the fan to a switch. I took a working ECT sensor out of my friend's sc and tried it on mine and that didn't fix it. I also took the working IRCM out of his car and tried it in mine, and that didn't fix it either. So there must be something else that causes this problem.

I have a 92SC with auto. The car runs good, but I think my mounts are bad. I also just converted the ABS to conventional brakes. Thanks for the links. What pins do I jump to retrieve codes.

The site on the ECT has a link on the right that explains how to do a self-test with a voltmeter. See the section on 'How to Prepare for the Self-Test', approx. 1/2 way down on that page and use the attached image to make connections.

Attachments

• eecsetup.gif
    eecsetup.gif
    4.8 KB · Views: 56
Back