transmission slippage

94soupecoupe

i have 76,000 on my 94 SC and i believe its the original trans fluid.

it smells a little bad and the fluid is dirty too

would this cause to hesitate a little bit while accelerating?

if it is the original filter and fluid,yes a fluid and filter change may solve the problem,if pan is grayish in color and grity,your burning up clutches.but you might get luckey.

In my Cougar LS I once had, the tranny started slipping a bit above 100K miles. I had the system flushed using a BG machine (complete fluid flush and change out) and the car ran another 50K before I got rid of it. Tranny never became an issue. Worth a shot at least!!!!!!:)

might think abought puting a bottle of lucis trany fix in with the filter and fluid change. stuff works realy good.

thanks for the inputs, much appreciated.

i was thinking of doing a flush and fill plus filter and or the lucas treatment.

but i asked my dad about it and he said it might not be a good idea cause the trans fluid is burnt a little, and it might make the trans worse, the same thing happened in my sisters pontiac grand am after 119,000

the trans cant be on its way out cause theres only 76,000 on the car and the previous owner only put 14,000 on the car.

so a flush and fill will fix my problem hopefully?

Last edited:
Good luck on changing fluid. I would advise that ATF fluid that's never been changed on a car with that mileage, once changed could cause additional problems. Hope your lucky.

If it were my car, I'd do as suggested: drain fluid, change filter, fill and add the Lucas fluid. If you drain the pan and the TC, you'll get most of the fluid in there. I wouldn't sweat the remaining quart.

Look at it this way.. your transmission is not working correctly right now anyway,.. changing fluid is not going to make it "not-work" any worse than it already is now is it? ;)

this is very rue, im gonna give it a try.

i was doing some research and i found out that i can use almost any Ford RWD trans that is a 4R70W. which is the SC, Mustang, Mark VII etc...
maybe i can find a cheap one somewhere

If it were my car, I'd do as suggested: drain fluid, change filter, fill and add the Lucas fluid. If you drain the pan and the TC, you'll get most of the fluid in there. I wouldn't sweat the remaining quart.

Look at it this way.. your transmission is not working correctly right now anyway,.. changing fluid is not going to make it "not-work" any worse than it already is now is it? ;)

I would look at it this way, your transmission is not work correctly and once you remove the pan and filter there's a chance it may never work again as is. I've seen it happen. The only thing to do after that is to have it rebuilt or replaced. Good luck.

Last edited:
My tranny had 88K on it with origional fluid, i was like F It, it either works or not,
it was nearly motor oil colored, no debris in tranny..Changed it, tightened TV Cable couple of clicks and ran the SOB, works fine this last 4K i put on it,

-Tony

this is due to the new trany fluid being thinner, as trany fluid ages it gets thicker and also reacts to heat differently. as the trany fluid thickens contaminants travel with the fluid. these contaminants clog themselves in clutch packs and other various moving parts. when you replace the fluid your not unclogging those hard to reach areas at once. instead as the new trany fluid travels throughout the trany it will break free debris that has collected over the years. If you have a high mileage auto trany that has not been maintained its best to change the fluid twice.

after approx. 500 miles i'd recommend changing the fluid again, don't need to flush or drain the tc, a simple pan drop and filter change it plenty enuff.

also, always always always put lucas trany fix in any high mileage auto trany, stuff works wonders. I've seen a 4t60e trany in the gm front wheel drive platform that was so worn it wouldn't move under anything less than full throttle. Simple drain and fill with 6 bottles of lucas trany fix and that trany was like new again, the CEL even went off and it wasn't throwing an "internal transmission slippage" code anymore... go figure, anyway that car and trany lasted another 2 years after that and was still running strong, the owner (my brother) ended up wrecking the car on the interstate and totaled it. The trany was still holding up quite well.

I would look at it this way, your transmission is not work correctly and once you remove the pan and filter there's a chance it may never work again as is. I've seen it happen. The only thing to do after that is to have it rebuilt or replaced. Good luck.

so true, i used to work at a mechanic shop, we stopping doing transmission flushes on high mileage cars for this reason.

this is very rue, im gonna give it a try.

i was doing some research and i found out that i can use almost any Ford RWD trans that is a 4R70W. which is the SC, Mustang, Mark VII etc...
maybe i can find a cheap one somewhere

MarkVII's were aod. The only bolt in transmissions for you would be a 94-95 3.8 mustang. That will have a different speedometer gear as well. Other transmissions will need changes.
Alan

so true....

Yeah, fluid/Lucas and hope. I would go ahead and put a drain plug in the pan so you don't have to drop it everytime. I would also advise an oil cooler set-up. Those trans need regular changes similar to the motor oil. If all holds up then next change add a mild shift kit.

Danny

when selecting a different trany be sure the shifter link is the same, if its not you have to remove the pan and take the shift level out to replace it with yours

trust me i learned this the hard way

I'm about to do the same thing with mine because its due. Anyone see any problem with going to Mercon V which is synthetic I guess. I'm not having any slippage or anything... yet.

Frit

Frit, if its not slipping and you change it regularly id go with synthetic,
IF it doesnt get changed often id go with dino

im just gonna use regular mercon.

i also noticed that the plastic mounting tab for the kick down cable that mounts to the throttle body bracket was broken. would this effect the transmission shifting at all?

im just gonna use regular mercon.

i also noticed that the plastic mounting tab for the kick down cable that mounts to the throttle body bracket was broken. would this effect the transmission shifting at all?

You might have found your problem. I know on the AOD don't drive the car until you fix it. That cable not being secured to you TB will fry your tranny. Put a cable tie to secure it until you can get a replacement. I think the plastic one cost me $1.88 at ford. It's been good for 5 years now. Other people will tell you there's a metal replacement one that's better.

On the 94 AODE I don't know what it does.

Last edited:
Back