Door handles

chadder1313

How hard is it to actually replace broken exteroir door handles? Does any body have any they want to part with?

they are pop riveted on so u will have to drill them outand the lock retaner in the door jamb has a rivet too. take the door panel off and disconect every thing. the door rod clip usaly brakes it's $3 from ford. takes about 30 min with the right tools. you will need a drill with bit, clip tool, new rivets, and a pick tool for the wireing cont., #2 scerw driver, and most likely a door rod clip. skinny arms help lol

Is the door handle itself actually broken or does the door just not open when you lift the handle? There is a chance the plastic clip mentioned is what is broken if the handle appears to be intact yet the door fails to open.

The door handles are actually broken. Man it sounds like a job. I guess this weekend ill see what i can do.

it's not that bad once u do one they go fast. i can do one in 15 min start to finsh. do the inside first then the retener for the lock then drill the handle. one good tip is put 3 or 4 layers of duct tape on the paint under the handle so if u slip you doin't scrach the paint.;)

I don't remember having to drill anything when I replaced mine. I switched complete door handle assemblies from a 93 car to mine and just switched over my original lock cylinder. Retainer clip on the door stricker side of the door to free up the assembly and it pretty well came right out.

i just went and checked i was wrong about the retainers they just pull out. some fords are riveted though. handles are rivet to the door though, u can find some bolt and nuts to use to fasten them, but rivets hold up better over time.

Is the door handle itself actually broken or does the door just not open when you lift the handle? There is a chance the plastic clip mentioned is what is broken if the handle appears to be intact yet the door fails to open.

Sorry to resurrect this but I need to repair my driver's door. The handle seems fine, but when lifted it doesnt open the door. The door opens from teh inside just fine thought. Any info on this clip that apparently breaks? Part number or something? Thanks!

PS chad Im PMing u.

Back