Crossmember question

DougD

I'm at that point where the drvetrain is scattered from one end of the garage to the other. I was looking at the crossmember and realized I didn't make a mental note of how it came out of the car.

Is there a right-left-forward-backwards ? It sorta looks like it would work either way but I'm just not sure.

Any help?

Its a 5-speed, if that matters

Thanks
DD

It shouldnt matter which way it goes in .. but there are two little holes on the driver's side for the transmission wire harness to attach to if you need a reference.

- Dan

OR, look at the slight creases in the crossmember. They go from wide/front to narrow/rear.
You'll get what I mean if you look at it in your hand.

Ehh, nevermind. 5-spd. For future reference, that applies to Automatics, but unsure about manual cars.

OR, look at the slight creases in the crossmember. They go from wide/front to narrow/rear.
You'll get what I mean if you look at it in your hand.

Ehh, nevermind. 5-spd. For future reference, that applies to Automatics, but unsure about manual cars.

Yeah they have the creases also, I just didnt feel like looking and explaining it that way ..

Just to correct myself, its one small hole, not 2 small holes.

- Dan

Last edited:
Uh-oh. My hole and my creases are in conflict with what you guys are sayin'

Well, we'll see what happens when I get it all back togehter. The hole for the center stud of the mount looks like it has lots of room for fore-aft adjustment.

I think I'll just go along with Dan's remark of "It shouldn't matter which way it goes in". :)

Thanks
DD

Just take a measurement of the holes in relation to eachother to be sure .. it is possible that it could be offset slightly to one side - the rear differential is offset by 1 inch, im not sure if the X-member is also. I might be able to get you a picture later tonight .. if you look at the middle part where the weight is riveted onto the bottom, you will see 2 lines on one side and 1 line on the other side - the 2 lines go on the driver's side.

- Dan

Just take a measurement of the holes in relation to eachother to be sure .. it is possible that it could be offset slightly to one side - the rear differential is offset by 1 inch, im not sure if the X-member is also. I might be able to get you a picture later tonight .. if you look at the middle part where the weight is riveted onto the bottom, you will see 2 lines on one side and 1 line on the other side - the 2 lines go on the driver's side.

- Dan

Thanks. Got it ! Two lines to the driver's side, and wiring harness hole on the driver's side.

That puts the creases---the "wide-to-narrow" ones---opposite of what was mentioned above...I think. This is sorta like a sobriety test :)

The pics shows what I've got. I daubed on some red paint to make all the creases clear

BTW, the mount hole is offset about 1.5"

Cheers
DD

Attachments

• crossmember 002.jpg
    crossmember 002.jpg
    196 KB · Views: 60
Look at my picture attachment..this is what I meant by the 'creases.'
If you look at it in person, you can see it goes from wide-front to narrow-rear.

Attachments

• crossmember%20002.jpg
    crossmember%20002.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 48
Look at my picture attachment..this is what I meant by the 'creases.'
If you look at it in person, you can see it goes from wide-front to narrow-rear.

Heh heh. I hope you'll forgive me being so dense, but I see that as a left-vs-right distinction.:confused:

Ok, let's look at it this way.....

In the pictures, the toes of my shoes are pointed to the front of the car. Is the crossmember facing the right direction ? :)

100 thanks
DD

Heh heh. I hope you'll forgive me being so dense, but I see that as a left-vs-right distinction.:confused:

Ok, let's look at it this way.....

In the pictures, the toes of my shoes are pointed to the front of the car. Is the crossmember facing the right direction ? :)

100 thanks
DD

Yes, that's in the right direction.
The wide spectrum of my yellow lines. (look at only the center ones.) is the front. It gets narrower as it travels towards the rear of the car.

The wide spectrum of my yellow lines. (look at only the center ones.) is the front. It gets narrower as it travels towards the rear of the car.

Oh, fer crissakes ! Don't I feel stuipid now ! :eek: Why is it that the simplest thing can be so hard to see ?

Ok, a 100 thanks for the help :)

Cheers
DD

Oh, fer crissakes ! Don't I feel stuipid now ! :eek: Why is it that the simplest thing can be so hard to see ?

Ok, a 100 thanks for the help :)

Cheers
DD

FWIW I thought he was talking about the same lines that you had painted in red also ... :rolleyes:

Yeah you have it in the right direction.

- Dan

Back