Changing Oil

kenewagner

I have a lot of problems recently starting the SC. Turns out I had fouled out the spark plugs. In the mean time I keep checking and changing things to start the car. Everytime I tried to start the car I kept flooding more gas into it. I changed the plugs and now the car fires right up. I resisted the urge to jump in and smoke the tires down the road and decided to change the oil first. The oil was gas soaked and smelled strongly of gas. I am glad I took the time to replace the oil. It only had maybe 500 miles on it and was Mobil 1, Pricey. I feel a lot more comfortable knowing that I have clean oil in the car. One of my better discisions and I am now ready to hit the dyno. It would have been easy to say only 500 miles on the oil, it will be OK. Im glad I didnt listen to that part of me;)

Ken

What would the big negatives of the oil smelling like gas be? Mine has flooded out once because of the DIS issue I had and I haven't changed the oil yet - should I?

What would the big negatives of the oil smelling like gas be? Mine has flooded out once because of the DIS issue I had and I haven't changed the oil yet - should I?

My understanding is that gas in the oil is bad for the rings. I say this b/c excess(unburned) gas in the cylinder washes the cylinder and strips the rings of oil. So I imagine gas in the oil itself would have a similarly adverse affect. It may even affect the oils penetration and protection factors. I am not an oil expert by any means, but I operate on this info.

Oh and yeah....good luck on the dyno Ken! Hopefully someone (you) will have a beast to bring to CC.

Last edited:
Good Luck on your Dyno...Cant wait to Here...

I did the same thing yesterday with my oil...Oh and it feels so good....

I smelled the dipstick and it sorta smelled like fuel...But then again my hands were filthy....So I wasnt too sure..Oil still looked nice and clean....My oil had maybe a 1/4 mile and 15 minutes of idling since doing my headgaskets...I was gonna change it soon but said....Ill do it tomorrow....Then I said screw it....If I drain it right now...Ill make sure Its done......

Welll...When drained it smelled alot like fuel had air/fuel bubbles on the surface and was 3 times darker then the dipstick showed......I was so glad I changed it....Uumm and today its raining out...So if I didnt do it yesterday...I would have put it off today.....

F1

My understanding is that gas in the oil is bad for the rings. I say this b/c excess(unburned) gas in the cylinder washes the cylinder and strips the rings of oil. So I imagine gas in the oil itself would have a similarly adverse affect. It may even affect the oils penetration and protection factors. I am not an oil expert by any means, but I operate on this info.

Oh and yeah....good luck on the dyno Ken! Hopefully someone (you) will have a beast to bring to CC.

I hope to pull some good numbers. Also hopeing to see you at CC. It would be nice to put the GM boys to shame;) As for the oil, your statement is pretty much what I was thinking. I think it is most likely people overlook oil contamination. The oil I drained was expensive and low mile on it, but I beleive it would have set me up for another problem and I dont need anymore problems. I think I have paid my dues and I want to join the ranks of the big boys:D

Gasoline is highly corrosive and not a lubricant! Diesel fuel on the other hand is a natural lubricant and wouldn't hurt anything if in the crankcase. Good call on changing the oil.

Chris

I give me a 0%-10% chance of making Spring CC. Will most likely have to shame the GM boys come Oct.

Is there a date for the fall club clash? I cant go to the Shootout this year:mad: My oldest son gets married on Sept 27 so I wouldnt miss that but I might have to plan on both club clashes this year

Ken

Back