OMG HELP!!!!! this just happened!

Bacondoggy

ok, changing the drivers side O2 sensor - I noticed the freeze plug behind it the bottom was alittle rusted, and I could see liquid (must have been a SLOW leak) gathered on the bottom of the plug, almost like condensation, and alittle at the bottom of the oilpan (not enough for a drip on the ground). I found its anti-freeze, so now I know the freeze plug must be alittle loose. So I take a 1" piece of wood - maybe 10" long and GENTLY tapped on the bottom of the freeze plug. on the first tap, I now notice a pretty steady stream of anit-freeze comming out, and now going drip....drip...drip on my driveway! I quick put a pan to catch most of it - NOW WHAT SHOULD I DO!?!?!? I guess drain the radiator, can I just take the freeze plug out (how do you take it out), and replace it? can you get one anywhere??? Oh man - I hope thisn't going to be too difficult - I'm in a mild panic. I assume something can be done without taking the engine out...

Help! :confused::eek::confused:

ok I hit it in - it looked like it went in about 1/8" but it is still dripping (like once every 5 seconds). I guess I have to drain the radiator, and get a new one - are they generic or do I need a ford type? are they 1 1/2" I assume?

Drain the radiator an be prepared for some antifreeze when you remove the leaking one Take the old one out by driving a screw driver through it and pry it out of the hole if you have room to do that. Take the old one with you or just get a good measurement. Any auto stores should have them Put some permatex around it and tap it in. It is an easy job on an engine stand but a pain in the rear with no room. Good luck

Ken

Spend some time with sandpaper cleaning out the hole in the block; make sure it's nice and clean. Use a small telescoping mirror to be sure. Also, buy a brass core plug, as they will not corrode like steel. If you don't have any swing room to install the new one, you can use the rubber plug as stated above. I've used them before when there was no other alternative with good success. Still, I've always worried about blowing one out, but it's never happened with me.

Needless to say, leave the other ones alone; they're probably all thin...

JD

Pair of needle nose pliers....Bend and yank the old one out....Nothing to tech about it.....POC

easy fix....

Use the expansion plug that was talked about previously....they work excellent and are very easy to install. I believe they are around $4 each depending on size.good luck

alright, well I got another plug, and drained the radiator. I got steel (was thinking about brass) only because my grandfather told me to keep it steel so all the freeze plugs will expand/contract the same... I will be sure to clean the bore out good, put sealer on the plug and probably install it tomorrow. I looked at another one on the drivers side (not sure how many there are), and it looked perfect. I guess I should check the other side too.

Back in the day, when the car wouldn't run AT ALL (since it was being forced in self test mode), I put mostly water in it. I forgot about this, and in the winter, actually started it up to move it (car was only on for a min, MAX). This was when the belt snapped because the water pump wouldn't turn (water froze), and I am sure this is when the plug went. Didn't notice it till now.... My dumbass mistake! but thanks alot for all the input/help - I had no idea what to do because I never dealt with them - gave myself more of a scare then I needed to!

BTW.. that is a clear sign that your cooling system has not been kept up to snuff. I suggest making sure your coolant is regularly changed to replenish the anti-corrosion properties of it.

Back