~~~! Can't get oil pan gasket to break loose!

blownsc

So i'm replacing my oil pan and taking pictures to post a how-to. K member is dropped about 5 inches and resting on longer bolts, oil pan is completely unbolted but i can't get the damn thing to pry loose. There's not enough room to get a screwdriver between the motor and oil pan and I don't have a ton of clearance. I tried the little notches that are in the pan to help pry but most are in positions (like right in front of the engine mounts) that I can't get at easily, and the 2 I could get at budged it a tiny bit but not enough to pry it off. I even tried a 3' prybar on the lip by the tranny and used the frame as a fulcrum and a floor jack to apply the torque. Still no good...............
So there you have it. I've been bested by some black rtv and have given up for the evening.
Any ideas on how to get this damn thing loose?

Wack with a Rubber malet a few times... I had to do that with a motor to get it to loosen up. Be very careful trying to pry as that is cast aluminum and is very easy to break.

Frit

Yeah, I used a rubber mallet on mine, too. Just took a couple or three good whacks

Cheers
DD

hmm, i'll try that in the morning. I was also thinking of maybe picking up a box of razor blazes and trying to wedge a few in there to get a seam going

Rubber mallet works ... just make 100% sure you get ALL of the bolts out of there. Dont forget the bolts holding the oil pan to the transmission either. :cool:

- Dan

If you don't have or don't want to go out and buy a rubber hammer JUST for this....another option is to locate the oil pan cut-outs. There are about four spots in the pan flange that have been cut out and you can stick a screwdriver in there and pry. I personally love the rubber mallet idea and have used it myself. BTW, it is just set-up RTV holding the pan to the block.

Go buy a rubber mallet for general purpose. If anything, it comes in handy killing ants and spiders crawling around the garage. :D

Go buy a rubber mallet for general purpose. If anything, it comes in handy killing ants and spiders crawling around the garage. :D

LOL! never thought of that, I use a 2 lb sledge for that duty :eek:... guess it would be easier on the floor.

Frit

i actually own a rubber mallet. Didn't even think of using it till I read your guy's posts. Went at it this morning and about 10 hits later it popped right off! Thanks as always

are you sure you got all the bolts out ,also get a small propain tourghe and heat around oil pan,not mutch just enought to get it hot,then hit it with rubber mallett,this may break the seal.

sorry,did not read above post.

Last edited:
Back