Shielded wire?

DougD

Spent a little time doing some tidy-up work on the wiring while I have the engine out.

I notice some of the wires (like one of the crank sensor wires, for instance) have a loose fitting grey sheathing marked "VOX" (I think that's what it said). Is this a shielding? If so, I have a couple areas where is falling apart and just drops off the wire.

I used a couple layers of heat shrink to replace it but now I'm not sure if that was the best idea.....if indeed its supposed to be shielded

Thoughts?

Thanks
DD

Doug:

There are several regions that are in fact shielded, including one for the crankshaft sensor, which has in embedded ground lead that reaches outside of the engine compartment (example 1990).

The shielding is to limit EMI (electro-magnetic interference) that can raise heck with the electronics.

Best advice if you have areas that have been trashed, is to start looking for intact/fresher replacement harnesses.

Ken
Portland, OR

Last edited:
Thanks for confirming what I suspected.

My spare engine came with some harness sections....maybe I'll get lucky and it'll be in better shape.

Cheers
DD

Not sure...

But I think that was the one on mine and the metal connection inside the plastic clip came unhooked....Take a peak make sure the connections are still good...I might even silicone that connection one of these days...

Back