setting cam pickup timing / Stabbing cam gear

Cox Abele

I'm new to this 3.8L but have quite a bit of auto expierence behind me from my 5.0s. I've rebuilt the rotating assembly and am now at the point where the front cover needs installed along with setting the timing for the cam shaft pickup.

I've done me searching and have some questions regarding the setting of the interuprer. Yes, I'm aware of the tool that is available, but this is a very basic rebuild on an incredibly tight budget. The cam rod has not been removed or loosened from the cover, so in a way I'm not actually stabbing the gear, rather, rolling it into mesh with the cam shaft gear.

What I've done: I've slid the front cover, including the timing gear onto the guides and lightly tapped it on in order to loosly install the balancer. I've spun the motor over to 26* ATDC as perscribed by other threads.

080503_200132.jpg

I then removed the balancer from the crankshaft and then tapped the cover on, meshing the pickup gear with the cam gear. This process is basically stabbing the gears together.

My question: I don't know which position is desierable. I'm told that the edge of the interupter should be in the middle of the groove, but I can't get that to happen due to tooth mesh. If I mesh one tooth I get this:

080503_200754.jpg

If I use another tooth, my interuptor sits here:

080503_200447.jpg

I understand that once I get the engine running, I'll need to time it, which is no problem, but I don't want to be off a tooth and need major adjustment. Which position is more accurate? At the beginning of the gap or at the end?

Either way, this is a dry mount with no gasket. The cover will be off for painting once I decide which tooth to use.

Back