5-Speed... Loose shifter fix?

rad_al_

I have lots of play in my shifter when it's in gear. Almost feels likes it's in neutral when I'm actually in gear. It still shifts fine, just lots of play. I tore it apart tonight & found the bushings are shot. I found a kit on ebay, is this what I need to correct the problem? Or does anyone know what would be better or have something around that would fix it?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/M5R1...016QQitemZ260200152083QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V

Last edited:
I've rebuilt a lot of these trannies and it looks like that kit would work Ok. The thing that really helps are the 2 thick plastic spacers that the ball on the shift rod sits in. I've seen shifters with none, one, and sometimes both. You should be able to get the 2 spacers from a Ford dealer for an F-150. That's all you really need and may be cheaper than their $32 kit. Unless the top cover is damaged you don't really need to replace it.

that b&m shifter sure did make mines stiff, enuff so you have to apply decent pressure to get it out of gear

When I got my '95 5spd, the shifter was sloppy. I rebuilt it using a stock rebuild kit and even doubled up the shims. It helped alot, but not as much as when I installed a B&M Ripper shifter. Short, positive throws and no shims to deal with.

Good luck,
Mark

P.S- Don't mean to bust your bubble, but your not the first SC with strobes and a code 3 response.

Well thanks for the help & info guys. Here's the way I'm fixing it...

I broke down & called Bill @ SCP & ordered a ripper shifter. It better be as nice as everyone says!!!:cool:

You will be happy!!!

Shifts are shorter and everything is just a stronger feeling made to handle bangen gears man!:D, I ordered the alum. shifter nob same time and it looks good with the factory boot over it.

Tom

surprised nobody said it but if you want to keep the stock shifter and just make it tight again you need to replace the insert bushing

Back