Oil in Supercharger?

gmonie6

I've been out of the SC world for sometime and purchased my 3rd SC last October.

Well I'm trying to figure out why the Supercharger won't put out more than 7 psi and the car stumbles.

I removed the Supercharger top today and there was quite a bit of oil. How much oil in the supercharger is bad??? The engine was rebuilt within the last 25,000 miles.

Also I was told that this supercharger is a MPII but it just looks like a 94 - 95 to me! Am I wrong??

Attachments

• Car 028.jpg
    Car 028.jpg
    282 KB · Views: 154
  • Car 027.jpg
    Car 027.jpg
    277.9 KB · Views: 187
your rotors are immaculate !!

that oil looks about right depending on how long its been running in the car. the pcv valve lets it all in there.

and yea it does look like a regular late model but the MP plenum is a plus !!

Thought SO

I'm still happy with the car at the price I paid. I'm probably going to the MPX. I'm thinkin the MPX is possibly the last advance for the M90 as a direct swap.

Gmonie6

I'm still happy with the car at the price I paid. I'm probably going to the MPX. I'm thinkin the MPX is possibly the last advance for the M90 as a direct swap.

Gmonie6

Although the MPx lines up in the OEM M90 bolt holes in the intake manifold and aligns with the IC tubing, I don't see it as a direct swap. It takes supporting mods to get the most out of an MPx and to run safely.

I do have supporting mods although I could have better.

Rebuilt block (forged custom pistons)
50# injectors awaiting install
ported heads w/stock valves (I do want to upgrade here)
85MM TB and 3 in CAI
255l fuel pump
Front mount intercooler.
LM1 and LM3 (for tuning)
Dr Fred cam 520 version (idles nicely w slight lope)
Snow inj
Everything to support 375rwhp (My Goal) except the right supercharger
Yada Yada Yada

I've waited since 1996 for my money to be right so I could have the SC I always wanted. Although I rarely get the chance open it up I feel the car needs more UMP.

Wouldn't you all SCers think the MPX as opposed to old technology MPII would be the way to go?

Last edited:
I do have supporting mods although I could have better.

Rebuilt block (forged custom pistons)
50# injectors awaiting install
ported heads w/stock valves (I do want to upgrade here)
85MM TB and 3 in CAI
255l fuel pump
Front mount intercooler.
LM1 and LM3 (for tuning)
Dr Fred cam 520 version (idles nicely w slight lope)
Snow inj
Everything to support 375rwhp (My Goal) except the right supercharger
Yada Yada Yada

I've waited since 1996 for my money to be right so I could have the SC I always wanted. Although I rarely get the chance open it up I feel the car needs more UMP.

Wouldn't you all SCers think the MPX as opposed to old technology MPII would be the way to go?

Sounds good...and for the exhaust?

I have scp headers into 2.5 downpipe into Lightning Cats into 3 resonator out to 3 pipe.

I do have 2.5 Flowmasters ready but I really like the sound as is.
I have thought of eliminating the Cats and use a Flowmaster 44 as a resonator. But once again I really like the current sound.

With the nice flowing exhaust, ported heads and that cam, 7psi sounds ok on a 95 blower with no Overdrive, Im assuming you have no OD since it wasnt mentioned in your mods. With snow and a FMIC 15% od sounds pretty safe.

Thanks for shedding some light on this. I thought it should put out about 12 to 15psi.

Both of my previous SCs did but they were both stock.

Tuned

If you have not tuned the car properly yet you should! You are having the same problems with the car that I had 3 years ago. You need a good datalog to find out what is going on with the car.

Nice to see you are taking car of it.

I have been Data logging using an LM1 and LM3. Dave Dalke has offered to assist me as I am attempting to learn tuning. He gave me an initial tune but the car didn't like it. The car runs better without the EEC Tuner. I'm beginning to think the EEC Tuner is the problem!!

mmm

Well you made it farther than I did. I was so frustrated with it that I sold it! Now I bought a car that already had the parts and tune done so I have no stress now!

Success!!

After resealing my supercharger and IC tubes I started thinking about the cause for my lack of boost 5 -7 psi. So I cleaned the wires around the cam sensor. No I didn't remove it! Then I pulled the number 6 spark plug and fired up the engine. Curiously the car ran the same:eek:. I place the end of the boot near the IC tube and checked for spark. At first nothing. Then a faint yellow spark. So I played around with the spark plug and tryed again. Yup consistant blue spark.

I hook the wire back up to the plug and went the a quick spin. I ease into the pedal as I normally do expecting a slow climb to about 5 -7 psi. Instead I get whine and 10 psi steady. I then try again but i get aggressive. I get 10 -12 psi but I hear the sound of belt slippage???

Still good enough for me. I not sure if the problem was/is the sensor wires, supercharger hat seal, or the #6 plug but I now have boost:D.

I can now get some logs and start tuning.

Will My set-up support 375hp?

I now have the car running great!! It idles nicely with about 18in vac and after this past weekend I am getting 13 - 14 psi boost.

What's everyone's opinion.

Since I thought I had am MPII but have an 94/95 w/MP inlet.

Which SC should give me the performance I want. I am looking for about 375hp. I mostly cruise for the enjoyment but want that neck snap torque. Given the Mods I have which is best?

Purchase a Used MPII

Have someone port the 94/95 or

Purchase an MPX.

I plan on using the MP 10rib 5% JS and 10% SC pullies.

I do have 10% underdrives not on the car and I don't think I would need them.

I would also need to buy a C&L #50 tube for the MAF.

go with an MPX...straight up. that blower can give a completely stock sc over 300. with some head porting, cam and an upgraded intercooler (and supporting mods, of course) you will hit that mark. you'll need to OD it about 20-25% to get the most out of it.

BTW : there's no 10% underdirve pulleys. are u saying u have underdrive pulleys or a 10% OVERDRIVE pulley ??

Last edited:
Back