Cam sensor pictures

tydlwavs

How's this look? Please tell me I did this right. Lined the pointer up to 26 on the BHJ. Had the half moon in this direction when I tightened it up.

I used other threads on this board to get that info. I was going to get the tool tomorrow, but this looks dead nuts to me.

-Todd

Last edited:
tydlwavs> How's this look? Please tell me I did this right.

Is cylinder #1 after TDC...?

Last edited:
How's this look? Please tell me I did this right. Lined the pointer up to 26 on the BHJ. Had the half moon in this direction when I tightened it up.

I used other threads on this board to get that info. I was going to get the tool tomorrow, but this looks dead nuts to me.

-Todd

Todd,

No it's not right. You have the timing set at 26 degrees before TDC, it should be set at 26 degrees after TDC. It also needs to be on the compression stroke of cylinder #1. In the past BHJ didn't mark the balancer at 26 degrees ATDC and it was necessary to measure the balancer and make your own mark, not sure what they are doing now.

This article has the info you need for remarking the balancer.

http://www.mn12performance.com/mn12how-to/BHJ/BHJ-install.html

David

Well, I have to ask how to determine the compression stroke. Would that be when I feel my finger getting blown off the spark plug hole?

The lines I have on my balancer were done exactly like the MN12 article. David, are you saying that from the "0" mark I need to work towards the left of those numbers to get a marking there. I'm too tired to think about this anymore tonight so I'll catch up in the am.

Last edited:
Well, I have to ask how to determine the compression stroke. Would that be when I feel my finger getting blown off the spark plug hole?

Looks like I need to figure a way to mark 26 ATDC. Looks like I have some work to do again tomorrow:)

The lines I have on my balancer were done exactly like the MN12 article.

Measure and mark 1.3" past TDC "0" to get to 26 degrees. The article mentions measuring and cutting a piece of tape 1.3" long and attaching it to the balancer to make it easier.

To locate #1 compression stroke pull the plug and hold your finger over it while moving the crank clockwise or use a compression tester or pull the rocker cover and observe the position of the rockers on clyinder #1 to see if they are showing to both be closed when the balancer is set to TDC "0".

You have a 50/50 chance of getting it right, because cylinder #1 will always be up when the balancer is pointing to TDC "0", just have to figure out if it's compression stroke or the end of the exhaust stroke.

David

tydlwavs> Would that be when I feel my finger getting blown off the spark plug hole?

That's one way, yes.

Ken

You have the cup exactly correct; however the HB is, as david noted, 26 deg on the BTC side. If you have the old plastic HB cover, you can line up the small notch on the pulley with the 26 deg mark on the plastic cover. The cover has the ATC/BTC sides inverted from what you will see on the HB itself.. so don't get confused by that.. they are BOTH correct. If you use the cover you won't see the HB at all.

Otherwise, mark the distance to the 26 mark from the 0 mark onto a piece of masking tape on the balancer, then remove the tape and use it to mark that same distance onto the ATC side.

Last edited:
No time today to work on this. I had to replace some parts on my daily driver.

I mark the 26* location to the other side of 0*. Then get cylinder #1 to the compression stroke and try again. I guess I'm taking the valve cover back off too.

The intake valve should be closing at TDC for #1 on the compression stroke, but is there an easy way to see this with the cover off?

I mark the 26* location to the other side of 0*. Then get cylinder #1 to the compression stroke and try again. I guess I'm taking the valve cover back off too.

The intake valve should be closing at TDC for #1 on the compression stroke, but is there an easy way to see this with the cover off?
Just guess.. try to start the car.. if it doesn't start, turn the crank shaft till the cup is 180 degrees out (from your picture), remove the stalk and line it up in the correct position again just like the picture.

Looks like that will be the winning option:) At this point the engine doesn't have fluids, I'm waiting on a chip, tensioners and some other stuff. I'll do my best tomorrow and if it's off I'll just have to try your suggestion.

Both the intake and exhaust valve will be closed (rocker relaxed, valve springs at full height uncompressed) on the compression stroke. Might be able to see the rocker positions by removing the oil filler tube and using a small mirror and flashlight.

David

I am pretty sure I got TDC on the compression stroke on cylinder #1. I'll take a couple pictures and ask for verification before I attempt to tighten the cam sensor.

So, now I advance to 26* on the side marked with my fancy blue tape, clock the cam sensor in the right way and button it back up?

The rockers are both loose and none of the others are both loose on this side.

PS, did the 26* mark on the crank, looked up and the cam sensor is right where it's supposed to be. I guess I don't need to stab it again.

Someone just verify I'm cool so I can put it together tonight;)

Last edited:
Todd,

It is on the compression stroke, but in this picture it looks like the pointer on the timing cover is pointing at TDC "0" degrees.

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=32426&d=1210205662

If it is, you will need to rotate the crank clockwise 26 degrees to align the timing cover pointer to the 26 degree ATDC mark you made with the tape, then restab the cam sensor stalk to get the sensor vane positioned the way it was in your first pics.

The tape also looks to be in the wrong position...1.30" length should be starting from the "0" TDC position on the balancer...it looks like you started the edge of the tape from the 10 degree ATDC position instead of "0". To confirm to correct position, you can also measure your balancer fron "0" to 26 Before TDC and go the same distance After TDC to mark the balancer (according to Rich's article it should be 1.30 inches).

David

Last edited:
David, I'm at 26 now and the cam sensor is lined up right there. I wanted to show TDC for #1. I did find 26 after and found the stalk in the right spot.

Thanks for all the help with this. I'm going back out to tighten things down.

David, I'm at 26 now and the cam sensor is lined up right there. I wanted to show TDC for #1. I did find 26 after and found the stalk in the right spot.

Thanks for all the help with this. I'm going back out to tighten things down.

Todd,

Please verify the tape is in the correct position....looks like you started at 10 degrees instead of at "0". (I edited my previous post while you were responding).

David

Back