PDA

View Full Version : Speed Problem

SEAHAWK
05-05-2008, 10:47 PM
I have a 1997 Thunderbird 4.6 v8. The very first day I bought the car I could not get it to go over 86 mph. I have asked numerous people what the problem is. I have been told "bad computer", "needs a chip", "the tires i put on the car are to big", " needs to be dino", and my favorite wich was told to me by Ford "that's as fastest the car was made to go". I am at my wits end and do not want to spend hundreds of dollars on something that is not going to fix the problem. My buddy who belongs to your northern california club told me someone out there could help me. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

tinman_72
05-05-2008, 11:22 PM
If someone put 4.10's in it then the speed limiter will kick in that early. What happens when you hit 86? If the engine just cuts out when it gets that fast, that would be my first guess. Or does it just not have enough power?

Jim Demmitt Jr
05-05-2008, 11:33 PM
SEAHAWK

Welcome to Nor-Cal we are always open arms to everyone in need of help You are having a issue with the computer it seams. The best sorce of help is in this forum (Madular Depot) I wish you lived closer we could get her in the shop and fix the problem. Go into the forums in this web site below they will help you quick

http://askbill.modulardepot.com/

SEAHAWK
05-06-2008, 12:12 PM
I'm not trying to be a dummy but what do you mean by 4.10's. When the speed gets up to 86 it chugs like the gov kicks in. I wish I was out there in California for more reasons than because my car won't go fast. I miss the west coast. To many pot holes out here.

Ddubb
05-08-2008, 12:37 AM
I'm not trying to be a dummy but what do you mean by 4.10's. When the speed gets up to 86 it chugs like the gov kicks in. I wish I was out there in California for more reasons than because my car won't go fast. I miss the west coast. To many pot holes out here.

You think California doesnt have Pot holes ????? You wouldnt believe some of the streets here.

By 4.10's he means the rear end gear ratio.

Do you know of any modifications that were made to the car ??? Your stock governer should kick on at about 105 mph .. you wont hit 4th gear until about 110 mph. What kind of RPM's are you turning say at about .. 70 mph ? I think mine was about 2000-2200 rpm's in 3rd gear with the factory 3.27 rear end gear ratio.

- Dan

coolhand
05-08-2008, 02:02 AM
I agree..........You didnt mention any mods, but it sounds like someone put gears in it. My '95 used to hit the limiter at 106. Cant say to much about the ECM, but some time on a tester seems to be in order to see if she throws out any codes. Those motors arent easy to make a lot of power out of. They will last forever though if properly maintained.
Good Luck

Matt

SEAHAWK
05-09-2008, 09:39 AM
When I bought the car it was already modified. The car has a steeda intake. According to the tag it said 327 on the gear ratio. I had the car in the shop and went out with the mechanic on the road. He hooked up the computer to do a check and found nothing wrong with it. This guy had a history of working on Fords so I think he knew what he was doing. I am not aware of any other modifications that have been done to the car.

Ddubb
05-09-2008, 07:40 PM
You mean the Tag on the Rear Differential casing ? Or the tag on the door sticker that says Axle Code ?

You didnt answer my question about RPM's on the freeway.

There is definately something wrong with your car if it wont go over 86 mph .. any Ford mechanic would know that, he obviously didnt know what he was doing with this car.

- Dan