help with removing nut on s/c pulley (supercharger is apart)

Bacondoggy

Ok, I need to replace the seal on the snout, and I have read on here by serching how to remove the pulley, and in some cases the nut, BUT I have 2 problems. #1 I do not have the stock pulley, I believe it is a 10% on this one... #2 The supercharger is off the car and apart. So I have JUST the snout, with the nut and pulley on it. My question is how do I get the nut off? I took it to a local machiene shop, and the guy said he might ruin the pulley. He told me he was going to take a bearking splitter and thentake the nut off, but if its on really tight, that it might "roll over" and then it will screw up the pulley, or mess it up so the belt wont be right on it... All the searches I read, explained how to take the nut off, when it was on the car... any help here would be great! Thanks!

???? Am I not understanding your question completely? Why can't you get an impact gun on there with air and take it off???

Chris

You can also use a strap wrench and a impact or welding gloves and a impact gun....it will come right off!:D

Just stop by a local shop and have them take the nut off with an impact gun. Once the nut is off, you should be able to tap the pulley off with a hammer. Definitely don't use the bearing splitter idea that the guy at the machine shop had, that's a good way to destroy the blower.

Once you have the nut off, you'll need a 3-jaw pulley puller to take the pulley off. To install it, I have always had good luck with using a torch to heat the inside diameter of the pulley and it slips right on like a glove

If you don't have a strap wrench an old sc or jackshaft belt and a crow bar will work.

Wrap the belt around the pulley and then twist the crow bar in circles until it is tight around the pulley.

Last edited:
ok, got the nut/pulley off. I see what looks like a metal washer now, but it doesn't seem to come out even with prying. Is it just a washer stuck on there?

Did you already remove the snap ring? Once you remove the snap ring, behind that is the seal. You can carefully drill a small hole and then tap a screw into it and pull on it.

I tried finding a 11/8' wrench, didn't have one so I used the wrap and twist method (thanks for that) to hold the pulley. I got the nut off, but the dang three jaw pulley I got won't clear the T-stat tube and/or the fan shroud...Does whackin it with a hammer really do the trick, or do I need to find another puller? I'm not interested in pulling the T-stat housing off 'cause it was a pain to seal right!

dan

There too....

I'm at the same place as these guys with one of my sc's. The metal washer behind the snap ring doesn't want to come out. I'm sure your not talking about drilling a hole in that? Another question: does the case come apart in 3 pieces? Snout, rotors & case?

Danny

Back