Water Temp Sending Unit ???

blueblur89

Alright, so I bought an autometer electronic temp gauge and I would like to still keep the original gauge functional. Originally, I had planned on using tee fittings to have both senders. However, just looking at it now, I was wondering if I could put in the new autometer sending unit and just hook up the stock wire to that as well. I'm guessing it's just not that simple, but thought I would ask anyway. Thanks.

Different gauges read certain resistance/voltage values to determine temperature. You could hook the stock wire up ti it as well, but that doesn't ensure that the gauge will output a reading similar to that of a stock sensor. You should get a reading, nonetheless.

That's kind of what I was guessing. Also, can I just hook the 12V Terminal on the gauge to the ignition wire that goes to my radio? That seems like it would be the easiest because it's right there.

I've got an aftermarket temp gauge on mine. I put the sensor in the vent fitting on top of the thermostat housing. It's got an electrical sensor rather than a mechanical one and is in the highest point in the cooling system. If the motor runs low on coolant the gauge will stop reading. Unlike the stock gauge in the dash that continues to show a normal temp reading when the coolant runs low, this gauge will flicker and then stop reading to let you know the coolant level has dropped. I've also found that from N to M on the stock gauge is only about 9-10 degrees with N at about 180 and M at 190.

If you hook them up together both gauges will read incorrect. Some guy on here welded a nut on to the pipe so he could thread in his stock gauge's sending unit. I just did away with the stock gauge. No need for it once you get the autometer.

Back