Transmission troubleshoot hour

dcae

Few problems with my tranny. Just bought this 1990 SC, which I am loving, yet the shifting issues are driving me nuts. I currently am avoiding third gear because of the immense grinding. I figured this was a synchro issue. However, today my reverse started acting up. A few times, I thought it was in, didn't go anywhere. Popped it out, and back in, started to work, then popped out of gear. After a few more tries I got it to stick. Wondering what this could be? Thanks for the help.

3rd gear is definately a synchro (extremely common) and the reverse issue sounds to me like a bent shift fork or shaft... that can happen if, say, you park the car on hill in reverse and try to pop it out w/o using the clutch. I only know this b/c it happened to me a while back in my Ranger (very similar trans)

I'm no expert, but i'm just speaking from what i've experienced. :)

The whole tranny needs to be gone thru. You could have multiple problems. Hopefully you'll be able to locate all the parts you need but only a thorough inspection will determine what.

Thanks for the help guys. Going to try and find a spot around me here in Texas to inspect it. I like doing my own work, but am not experienced in trannys. . so I would prolly have him inspect and then do the work myself once I knew what was wrong.

Back