VIN problems

DemonSC

1FAPP64R4KH161256, i called Ricart Ford and they said my car has a 2.2 turbo and it does not have an AOD transmission in it. anyone have an idea? the car is an 89 SC

Last edited:
On these old cars I don't think they can just plug the vin number in the computer and find parts. "R" is your engine code and "K" is the code for an 89 car. You had the same parts guy that I always have. "2.2 turbo car, right?" nooo

Always guide them in the right direction with the engine code.

Chris

8th digit is Engine, Ford manual states "R" is for 3.8 SC,
Note, Early production Veh may be "C"

10th digit is Year K is 1989

Maybe they punched your VIN in wrong or something like that?

Judging from some of the replies I guess some of the guys here have never made a keyboard error...or any other mistakes :) :rolleyes:

Cheers
DD

Maybe they punched your VIN in wrong or something like that?

Judging from some of the replies I guess some of the guys here have never made a keyboard error...or any other mistakes :) :rolleyes:

Cheers
DD

I have just been through the runaround at the dealerships so many, many, many times that I'm convinced they KNOW i'm a moron and have been told this by the Ford garage that i tend to be negative towards dealerships based on my and countless others experiences.
They told me to buy a new Mustang rather than waste my money on a POS super coupe. That did not rub me the right way. I have decided if I cant fix or the members of this forum cant help me fix my sc than it cant be fixed. After the $1500 hg job years ago i am done with taking my sc to the ford dealer.

Sorry if I sounded like an a$$ to people I just have had some bad experiences at the local Ford garage.

Mark

"R" was also the engine code used for the 2.2L turbo in the 1st generation Probes. Ford's parts catalogue system has very limited VIN breakdown info for vehicles prior to 1993 model year. When I just tried your VIN on the Ford Canada parts catalogue, I got the same thing. It knows that it is an 89 Super Coupe with the passive restraint system, but it comes up as a 2.2 four, engine type "EFI - Turbo - Probe". It is only recognizing that engine is being the one that goes to the R code.

cheers
Ed N.

I have just been through the runaround at the dealerships so many, many, many times that I'm convinced they KNOW i'm a moron and have been told this by the Ford garage that i tend to be negative towards dealerships based on my and countless others experiences.
They told me to buy a new Mustang rather than waste my money on a POS super coupe. That did not rub me the right way. I have decided if I cant fix or the members of this forum cant help me fix my sc than it cant be fixed. After the $1500 hg job years ago i am done with taking my sc to the ford dealer.

Sorry if I sounded like an a$$ to people I just have had some bad experiences at the local Ford garage.

Mark

That's OK. I've worked at dealerships for 30 years and sometimes get a little sensitive to these things :).

It seems like a simple mistake (which can happen to anyone) makes us dealership guys idiots, liars, or both....

Fast Ed's explanation pretty well cleared things up, I reckon.

Cheers
DD

When the ford dealership told me that it was a 2.2L it really blew my mind how they could make that big of a mistake. is anyone else's vin like this? i didnt take it to a dealership i was having problems with my transmission and was trying to order a new one and i kept getting the wrong one with a B servo for the OD, i finally got things straightened out though, the place is building me a new tranny and sending it sometime this week hopefully. i burnt the first one up in 11,000 miles haha. must have thought i had a junkstang :)

Last edited:
too funny

that funny cause the t bird turbo coupes come with the 2.3 turbo, but like said before the probe did come with the 2.2 turbo mazda motor, dont even know why that would come up with your vin search

Ed explains it all right here. They guy at the dealership can only go by what the computer screen tells him. You can't really expect a parts guy to know all the years and all the combinations of engines, tranmissions and rearends used in all models that Ford made, now can you?

"R" was also the engine code used for the 2.2L turbo in the 1st generation Probes. Ford's parts catalogue system has very limited VIN breakdown info for vehicles prior to 1993 model year. When I just tried your VIN on the Ford Canada parts catalogue, I got the same thing. It knows that it is an 89 Super Coupe with the passive restraint system, but it comes up as a 2.2 four, engine type "EFI - Turbo - Probe". It is only recognizing that engine is being the one that goes to the R code.

cheers
Ed N.

Back