PDA

View Full Version : '94 E4OD fluid change

AlanEdwards
05-12-2008, 01:55 PM
OK, so my 94 E4OD tranny takes 12.5 Qts of fluid. I'm about to change the fluid, gasget, and filter. When doing so I'm going to drain the TC to maximize the fluid change. How much fluid can I expect to remain in the tranny even with the TC drain?

I want to know, so I'll know how much fluid to buy, or rather not "over buy."

Also, I'm not really having any tranny issues, but I've got about 130,000 miles on the original tranny. Since I'm NOT having problems should I NOT add a quart of Lucas since it's so thick and may cause tranny strain, or since I've got such high miles should I add a quart of Lucas for preventive maintenance?

Thanks,
Alan

fast Ed
05-12-2008, 02:07 PM
Alan, when we do services on those transmissions here at the dealer, we usually end up using 14 litres of fluid with the converter drained. The gasket (if original) on that one should be a molded rubber reusable part, that only needs to be replaced if it's leaking or damaged.

As for the Lucas, I'd say no if you have a good working unit now.

cheers
Ed N.

AlanEdwards
05-12-2008, 03:12 PM
Ed,

Thanks for the response. Now, being a Ford tech you would know more than me of course. But, my Ford factory svc manual for the 94 Bird says, on the back cover (look at one yourself at your dealership), 12.5 quart capacity. If I'm not mistaken, 14 liters would convert to about 15 quarts. What's up with the discrepency in the manual? Or, am I converting wrong and is 14 liters really a little less in quarts (i.e., 12.5 quarts as stated in the manual) and not a little more?

And what about the question of how much will remain in the tranny when draining the TC?

Thanks,
Alan

fast Ed
05-12-2008, 05:13 PM
I'm not a tech, just a parts guy!! 1 litre is equivalent to 1.057 U.S. quarts, according to the label on the bottle of trans fluid I have in my hand.

When you said E4OD, I assumed that you had a truck with this trans that you were doing a service on. If you're talking about an MN12, it's an AODE, not an E4OD ... big difference. A full drain on an AODE will usually need 11 litres for refilling, which would be close to the 12.5 quarts you have listed on the manual, minus a bit of fluid that won't come out.

cheers
Ed N.

AlanEdwards
05-12-2008, 07:23 PM
Ed,

Forgive the mitake on the tranny code. Would you mind asking one of your tranny techs how much fluid remains in the AODE tranny with a TC drain?

Thanks

rzimmerl
05-12-2008, 07:41 PM
If you are working on a '94 SC you have a 4R70W trans.

AlanEdwards
05-12-2008, 07:58 PM
SIGH, OK, like I said on my oil dip stick post, I didn't mean to start an arguement. So, if it's the 4R70W, the AODE, the E4OD, or whatever freakin' tranny code is.......

On my '94 SC automatic factory original tranny, how much fluid will remain in the tranny after I drain the TC?

And how about other opinions on the Lucas question I asked earlier? I'm changing it tomorrow morning, so more opinions are welcome as soon as possible.

Thanks,
Alan

XR7Kurt
05-12-2008, 10:40 PM
I didn't mean to start an arguement.
I don't think anyone was arguing, just trying to make sure you have the correct information.:)
Kurt

AlanEdwards
05-12-2008, 10:44 PM
You're right Kurt, there really was no arguement here.

Anyone have any info for me on the amount of fluid left after TC drain? And, what about other opinions on adding Lucas or not.

Thanks much,
Alan

AlanEdwards
05-13-2008, 04:31 PM
I went ahead and got a quart of Lucas and put it in just to condition the seals, etc., because of high miles, 130K. I can already tell a difference in the shifting and such. I don't know if it's because of the Lucus, or just new fluid, but it's more responsive to the gas pedal and shifts cleaner.

When emptying the fluid it was still a nice and pretty red, with no metal or trash in the bottom of the pan, so that's good news as far as the tranny life left I think.

I learned the hard way to crank the engine and run through the gears every few quarts. I reached about 6 quarts or so and it started running out the overfill vent, or whatever it's called, on top of the tranny. After I cranked it and ran through the gears in order to get fluid in the TC, it was OK.

So, just remember to start it and run through the gears every few quarts when totally refilling the tranny from empty.

Take care,
Alan

Dirtyd0g
05-13-2008, 06:45 PM
SIGH, OK, like I said on my oil dip stick post, I didn't mean to start an arguement. So, if it's the 4R70W, the AODE, the E4OD, or whatever freakin' tranny code is.......

On my '94 SC automatic factory original tranny, how much fluid will remain in the tranny after I drain the TC?

And how about other opinions on the Lucas question I asked earlier? I'm changing it tomorrow morning, so more opinions are welcome as soon as possible.

Thanks,
Alan

About 1 quart will remain on top the valvebody after you drain the pan and converter.
Alan

AlanEdwards
05-13-2008, 11:15 PM
Yeah, I found that out. But thanks for answering anyway. Maybe it'll help someone out in the future, when they change all of the fluid like I did.

Thanks,
Alan

TbirdSCFan
05-14-2008, 11:27 AM
How much fluid can I expect to remain in the tranny even with the TC drain? In my experience.. about 2 quarts will remain.. If you pull the valve body off and let it drain, about 1 quart.
However, don't do that if you don't have new gaskets for it or aren't familiar with the re-torque sequence. Old gaskets are brittle and shifting problems can happen if not torqued correctly. :D