creaking doors!

steelman

Hi all

I am slowly restoring my 89 Cougar XR-7, its a really clean car as it is.The car is a white on Blue leather fully loaded except its a 5 speed. In my research for parts and common problems its very hard to find new parts for this thing! Anyways to my question the car has 94 k or 58 miles for my Americans friends, the car has one really really annoying problem, the car when driving has allot of creaking coming from the doors, i am thinking its hinges.Has anyone else experienced this and if so what do you think the issue is? Also I am in desperate need for a rear window trim piece if anyone knows of one, thanks in advance!
Paul

Hi all

I am slowly restoring my 89 Cougar XR-7, its a really clean car as it is.The car is a white on Blue leather fully loaded except its a 5 speed. In my research for parts and common problems its very hard to find new parts for this thing! Anyways to my question the car has 94 k or 58 miles for my Americans friends, the car has one really really annoying problem, the car when driving has allot of creaking coming from the doors, i am thinking its hinges.Has anyone else experienced this and if so what do you think the issue is? Also I am in desperate need for a rear window trim piece if anyone knows of one, thanks in advance!
Paul

Rear window trim: http://www.spinningwheels-sc.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=51835

I agree with pap, I hated all of the 'old car noises' my car made, I used the white lithium grease on the door hinges and my noisy automatic seatbelts. Sprayed it in february haven't made a noise since.

Are the hinges loose?, Open the door up about three inches and see if you can lift the back part of the door up and down, if you can the hindges are worn. There are bushing kits that can be installed buts its better to get used hinges and rebuild them and replace both at the same time. With all the power options you can't really remove the door but just move it way from the A-pillar and reinstall.
The top hinge is a B*tch with one bolt that needs to be removed from up
under the dash. Depending where you live any lube or grease you put on the hinges wears them out three time quicker. Dirt and sand gets in the grease and just creates more wear. I would also check your door stricker, is it worm out? how does the door body lines match the body line of the fender and quarter?

Where can I find the bushing kits in order to rebuild the hinges? My doors creak also and they move up and down a bit as well, so I need to rebuild them, both doors. And, about how much do they cost?

Thanks,
Alan

Heres a tip- get the passenger hinge from a junk yard as they are the same and you'll find them tight because they get used less often. Just flip them over and install.

Where can I find the bushing kits in order to rebuild the hinges? My doors creak also and they move up and down a bit as well, so I need to rebuild them, both doors. And, about how much do they cost?

Thanks,
Alan

http://www.spinningwheels-sc.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=39

SCP probably has them also, but I believe they were cheaper from spinningwheels. You may be able to get most of the rebuild parts from the Help section at advance auto parts, but I'm not positive on what are the correct parts. No guesswork if you buy the kit. I've rebuilt the hinges on both doors now. Be careful with the driver's side because the bushing might have worn through to the hinge so a new bushing might not solve your problem completely.

http://www.mn12performance.com/mn12parts/doorhinge/door-hinge-repair.html

That link is a great guide.

For the record, Autozone/OReilleys and various other parts stores carry the rebuild kits. It's usually in the 'Help' section and I'll get the part number as I think I still have a kit out in the garage.

Also a lot of the creaking and rattling comes from the door striker bolt at the rear of the door jamb. If the plastic bushing is missing or broken you can replace the striker with a new one available at Autozone or the dealer cheap.

The door is loose for sure, I am pretty sure it needs pins and bushings, I looked at thekit from spinning wheels, it states that it is mostly the bottomm one, do you all think the top needs to be done, I mean if I am in there I might as well right??

Last edited:
Hinge tip

Its the top hinge that wears out due to the weight and length of the door. Look at the hinge when lifting the handle end of the door it will be the top hinge that moves. Lay some duct tape over the fender edge and the door area where a socket/swivel might make contact. If the hinge is loose its a waste to replace the stricker until the hinge are replaced. You can actually see the wear in the top hinge if you look closely when moving the door. If replacing the stricker only and not the hinge the weight of the door is being supported by the stricker and could crack the sheet metal around the stricker our door are heavy. If the hinges are worn is the top edge of the door hitting the B-piller when opening?

Yes it does move up and down with the door open.....I will also replace the strikers, I am going to see if I can find new hinges instead of going the rebuild kit way, if I cant find them I will have no choice but the kit.I know these doors are HEAVY, it should be a fun project.

In the collision industy there is a neat stand that will hold the door while it is
unbolted from the hinges, but you can get a 4x4 and cut a slot that the bottom of the door edge will fit in and then use a floor jack to support the weight of the door and jack up a strap can be used to tie to the top of the door to keep from moving. Put something between the handle and the door, a pillow or cushion works good. MARK THE HINGES ON A-Pillar and DOOR BEFORE TAKING OFF So you can get new hinges CLOSE!!!!!!

Back