where to hook up an engine ground mount

Bacondoggy

ok, I looked, and found out I do NOT have any ground wire going to either head - driver or pass. I bought a 15" braided grounding strap, but my question is where to hook it up to on the ENGINE? I don't see any "eyelets" or whatever on the back of either head...

There are two ground straps on our cars from the factory. One goes from the forward motor mount bolt/stud on the drivers side to the chassis. the other is on the other side from the forward motor mount bolt/stud on the passenger side to the chassis.

There is a third ground on a stud which is part of a bolt which mounts the bracket the fuel pressure regulator sits on on the back side of the drivers side head.

ok, because I have NO grounds to EITHER heads. This concerns me. I am not sure about motor mounts - all I know is mine are solid rubber and depending on what bolt the ground is going to, it may not actually be gounding the engine itself... Not to mention I don't think there are any grounds on the motor mounts... so where is the best spot you guys would recommend for me to hook up this grounding wire??

firewall to really bolt you can get toon engine,ive seen people run a ground from altonatr bracket to firewall as long as you have a ground.

ok, because I have NO grounds to EITHER heads. This concerns me. I am not sure about motor mounts - all I know is mine are solid rubber and depending on what bolt the ground is going to, it may not actually be gounding the engine itself... Not to mention I don't think there are any grounds on the motor mounts... so where is the best spot you guys would recommend for me to hook up this grounding wire??

The bolts I'm talking about bolt the motor mounts to the engine block. What the rubber of the mount has anything to do with it, I'm not sure? Go out and take a hard look under the hood.

The chassis is grounded to the battery. The Engine is grounded to the chassis.

If you don't have any obvious grounds, then you need, at a minimum the 3 that I mentioned above.

There is a third ground on a stud which is part of a bolt which mounts the bracket the fuel pressure regulator sits on on the back side of the drivers side head.

Where on the chassis does this ground attach on a stock setup? I have not had that reconnected. Have just had the two motor mount ones connected. Been so long since the car was stock I cannot remember anymore. Anyone else have this problem? ;)

Rear green wire ground....

I've only seen this ground on 1 of the T-Birds I've worked on. It's part of the rear harness. Small gauge wire. It might even have been an LX that it was on.

Danny

Last edited:
I've only seen this ground on 1 of the T-Birds I've worked on. It's part of the rear harness. Small gauge wire. It might even have been an LX that it was on.

Danny

I have two spare fuel injector harnesses from a '90 and they both have that eyelet. My '93's harness does not.

Now that I think of it, that one on the back of the fuel injector bracket may have only been on my 90. I remember that one due to trouble getting the stupid stud out of the back of the head. But I don't recall fretting about where to put that when I put the 93 together since I never put that stud back in on that motor.

Early SC's like mine have the ground terminal that bolts to rear side of the driver side head. Same bolt holds the rear side of the fuel rail down.

The ground(black) wire that comes off the battery bolts to the driver side front engine mount bracket that bolts straight to the block. That is your main ground.
There is also another skinny ground strap that comes off the negative terminal on the battery that bolts to the front frame support, within 6 inches of the battery.

On the passenger side inner fenderwell just below the ac compressor is another ground strap. Can't remember exactly where that one comes from, but its gotta be grounded out:).

I take this information from how the 89 model car is setup.

Chris

Last edited:
Back