PDA

View Full Version : Gear Reduction Starters

f1rocco
05-13-2008, 11:05 PM
I was working today and met a customer at his residence who has a business in auto electrics...He mentioned he builds starters...Switches etc...Anything with a wire and gear....He gave me a huge booklet with all the suppliers and things he has....Ton of stuff.......

Well anyways I mention a gear reduction starters for my 4x4 crew and light weight...Said no problem with a group buy and could sell them cheaper.... Then I mentioned us at SCCoA...Again he said sure..Probably atleast 2.5 lbs lighter....

Asked me just decide who we wanted to go through with starters and he could give me a group buy price depending on how many want them...
Brand choices were Ford/NikkoDenki/Delco/MagnetMarelli and a bunch of others..Also wanted to know about what HP and Torque typea numbers we wanted to push the starter with....Something like that....

Well let me know if this is something that we might want to look into...His price for a Chevy 350 was about 25% cheaper just for one off the net with the same warranty.........

f1rocco
05-14-2008, 12:38 PM
I trust the guy and based on the size of his house and how many flat screens he has his business has to be doing pretty well...

Maybe I can get him to make one and have it shipped to someone here with a powerhouse car to test it out......I guess I could eat the cost for the first one..Just to get this moving..And the person that tested it out could buy it afterwards depending on cost and if it were worh a crap....If its junk I will eat the cost...

Just need a test monkey and what manufactor we want work off of....If not Its cool.....

Mike8675309
05-14-2008, 03:00 PM
I don't know that any particular manufacturer is better than the other. He should know better than us. We don't run enough compression to need a gear reduction starter. Though if he can make them for a comparable price to standard AutoZone starter, it can't hurt.

I recently had my starter rebuilt that was turning very slow. cost $100 to have it rebuilt and it works just fine.

f1rocco
05-14-2008, 03:33 PM
I believe he also does alternators as well......Maybe try that....I see Summit gets $200--$250 for a 140 amp set up.....

Or I can see if he can build us a bullet proof oem style starter...

MagpoweredSC
05-14-2008, 05:35 PM
I would be interested in a mini-starter, my bro got one for his 85 mustang build and it feels featherweight compared to the stock clunker, plus it gives a lot more clearance.

Mike8675309
05-14-2008, 09:12 PM
Oh there is definitely a purpose for a mini starter. Folks with headers, or doing custom exhaust work, say for a turbo. It's just that the NEED in the general SC owners group isn't high unless the starter could be Better for the same price, or the same for a lower price.

f1rocco
05-14-2008, 09:28 PM
I told the guy I will get back to him in a few days.......Maybe we could get a mini starter or bullet proof stocker for a group buy and see how much they will cost...Maybe based on price even people like myself with pretty much stockers would buy 1...

Do they currently make minis......Are they the same as the 5.0 starters...I dont know but figure the guy will get me a price quick and wouldnt mind knowing what current prices are...

Cool....

Mike8675309
05-14-2008, 09:31 PM
I don't believe they are the same. We need to figure out how many teeth for sure.

f1rocco
05-14-2008, 09:58 PM
I was just on froogle....

And they have what they call mini gear reduction starters for Ford 2.0 and 2.3 for $50....They look like regular starters though...Not sure if its a scam and you have to install the parts into your existing starters....

Then I seen some other light weight small GR starters for around $200-260..

Looks like our starters go for $90-150....So my guess we should be able to get a true mini hi torque 5lb lighter model for $150 shipped... With warranty... Just a guess.....Or a bullet proof stocker for $100 shipped...Just a guess again.....

More thoughts and ideas........

F1

Kevin Leitem
05-14-2008, 10:29 PM
I don't believe they are the same. We need to figure out how many teeth for sure.

yes the 5.0 based starters work, i have been running a CSR ultralight starter for years, on the AOD and C4.
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=CSI%2D105U&N=700+4294908331+115&autoview=sku. they are real nice starters, the mounting base can be turned to place the solenoid in any position

XR7 Dave
05-15-2008, 07:44 AM
Keep in mind that most (but not all) 5.0's are 157 tooth flywheel whereas we are 164 tooth. Our starters are already "gear reduction" "mini" starters so there isn't much to be gained. Most of the weight of a starter is in the solenoid, magnets and armature which is already small on our starters. When people talk about "normal" starters they are typically referring to the much bigger non-gear reduction units from the 60's and 70's.

1990XR7SC
05-22-2008, 05:43 PM
f1.. How bout doing something with the alt's. I know we all have had alt issues with our cars at one time or another. If he can make a stock alt with upgraded "guts" like 160 amp like a 3g then id go for it, and have it in a powder coated case or even polished to fit the needs of the guys who have the clean engine bays. Also where is he located in the ol roc? I used to live in LeRoy NY so i know the roc well.