scrap egr

hepcat

On my 89 xr7 the thing has a egr. Has anybody taken that off and just put a plate of the whole in the intake and bend the lower tube to seal?

This thing sucks and I don't want to deal with it on putting my sc back together.

Thanks.

Raymond

egr

So there is a sensor on the egr?

So what could you do to bypass that problem?

Would epoxy hold be a good idea to sealing the egr?

Thanks I just want my car easier to work on when I take it apart.

Raymond

To seal the EGR, you can use a fuel pump block off plate. It is usually in the performance aisle at Autozone or Pepboys. It is diamond shaped but the bolt holes line up.
mustangplace_1680_11378282

You can cap off the exhaust manifold to get rid of the EGR pipe.

To properly turn off EGR, you should use an EEC tuner. Also your part throttle may suffer without EGR.

I asked this before and no one seemed to know but the 90 auto and 91-93 are non-EGR. You should be able to swap the ECU from it to kill the EGR. I'm looking to do the same thing to my 90 5-spd as I have lost the Valve and broke the tube

Swap computer modules with great care and much research. The pinouts vary from year to year. Even though the connector is the same, don't swap 'em out without consulting a wiring diagram!

I put a 93 PCM in my 89 to delete EGR and get datalogging capabilities. Most of the pinouts had changed! Some early computers control the cruise while later ones do not.

How much, if any moddification did you have to do? I'm looking at swapping the same year (90 5-spd to 90 Auto) so the pinouts should be the same. I'm just wondering if any of the functions are different. I just realized (as I'm typing) that the Auto has a speed limiter. Can't have that so maybe one from a 91 5-spd. Any info would be much appreciated,

instead of going through all that, I could get you a chip that deletes EGR and removes the speed limiter. You would also get the other benifits from the chip.

Just a thought. I know pinouts did change from year to year.

Brian

One other thing you could do is cut off the exhaust gas sampling tube nice and short , just past the sensor sampling port and crimp the end shut. My pipe broke right at the manifold over a year ago and I crimped the end of the tube, it never sets the check engine and she runs just fine. Crimping the tube prevents unmetered air from entering the intake. Cutting the tube short allows you to easily remove the EGR when you pull the supercharger and it comes out with it.

egr

After looking at my egr on my 89 xr7 it is controlled by that vaccum sylinoid. My guess is that on this car if you disconnected the erg the computer wouldn't know since there is nothing electrical attached to the egr just the sylinoud. So if you plug the vaccum going to the egr or keep keep the vaccum hooked to the egr but not have it hooked to the intake this should work.

Why I want to do this is because 1 it sucks to disconnect and 2 it brings high temp head from hot manifolds into the intake raising the intake air temp and that's not good.

Thanks for all the replys guys you are awsome.

Raymond

Buy a EEC tuner and get a tuner file with egr delete. Then block off the EGR port.

Last edited:
There's more to it them just the EGR vacuum solenoid there is the EGR sensor and this what will trigger check engine lights. That is why I left my EGR solenoid on and crimped the end shut, the sensor still thinks it is working properly and no check engine lights.

egr

Where is this egr sensor?

At the moment I have other things to spend money on then the ecc tuner. This will be my last mod so i will not have spend more money to have it tuned.

thanks guys for responding

Raymond

Its a little grey box that should have been clipped to the EGR Valve. If not it will hang somewhere. It has a rubber line coming from the EGR tube connected at the bottom. I would spend the money on an EEC tuner but I could very easily spend well less tha half and deal with a speed limiter until I do end up with an EEC Tuner. All I would have to do is swap the EEC from an auto a non EGR exh manifold and the block off plate.

Back