how many o2 sensors does the SC have and where are they??

jjm983

im trying to replace my 02 sensors and all I see is 2, they are bolth before the cats. I was woundering if there are any after that I diddnt see, Also how the heck is a guy supposed to get the one on the driverside?? its jammed in there!!

it is a tuff one,it wll come out.you did not mention year mine is a 89 and their is one behind muffler,i think the newer ones have only 2.

My 94 has only 2 one in the exhaust manifold and the other in the pipe just ahead of the cat below the exhaust manifold.

ill admit i dont know much about the working's of a SC,but i do know what 02 sensers are and mine has 3-one behind the muffler and it's own plug in.have changed all 3 of them,factory exhaust to.so why is mine different.

im trying to replace my 02 sensors and all I see is 2, they are bolth before the cats. I was woundering if there are any after that I diddnt see, Also how the heck is a guy supposed to get the one on the driverside?? its jammed in there!!

Your question

An SC only has two 02 sensors they are located in the exhaust manifolds meaning screewed into a bung only not in the down pipes. Remember 02 sencors are never after the cats always before in any car

Last edited:
All SC's have two O2 sensors, one before each catalytic converter in the manifold and/or down pipe.

However, some vehicles have O2 sensors mounted before AND after the catalytic converter. For example, a couple of my Dodges had before/after sensors. I suppose it depends on how the vehicle programming is set up.

JD

...Remember 02 sencors are never after the cats always before in any car
All '94-'97 V8 MN12's all have two before and two after the catalytic converters. The two before the cats are for engine fuel management while the two behind the cats are strictly for letting the EEC know if the cats are working.

Back