One more problem, Big Oil leak!

jjm983

ok this car is putting up a fight and its winning right now, on top of all my other issues, there is a big oil leak on this thing that I can't pinpoint, It seems to be coming straight down the center of the block , and as far as I can tell the top end is dry, the pan looks good to , is there something im missing and is a common place to leak? its not small it leave about a baseball size spot over night! any ideas?

The oil pressure sending unit is a frequent cause of oil leaks in the front center of the block, on the drivers side of the water pump.

also the timing cover can leak at gasket get flash light and look between the pwr string and bracket you should be able to see the pump and timing cover

if oil covers crank sensor it can make cr run like junk

If you are talking about between the engine and transmission, the rear main seal is the biggest probem child I have had. I still havent had any luck getting mine to stop leaking.

Baseball size spot is smaller then you think. When oil hits the ground it covers a lot of area with a small amount of spill. Every time I drive my car, the next morning I have a baseball size spot. 3,000 miles to a quart of oil, if that.

Last edited:
Your Leak

Its sounds like oil pressure sending unit or it could be a valve cover gasket leaking down to the pan rail. Best thing to do is get it up up stands fire it up let it run and see with a drop light where it is comming from. Remember a leak can start from one place and travel to the lowest point

having the same issue with mine. seems to drip off in 2 or 3 spots. I have cleaned it off but time I get a change to check again the whole bottom is covered. even changing the oil pan gasket seems like job. just not an easy fix. but what is

So, I've got a very substantial leak (a quart every couple hundred of miles) coming from the front of the engine. I just rebuilt the engine a couple thousand miles ago. I ran conventional 10W30 in it for the first two oil changes because I did them every 1500 miles. This last time I put in valvoline synthetic, and it seems to have gotten worse. It fills that little lip below the oil filter. Are front seals known to be a problem on these? Looks like it's coming down from there, but I can't tell if it's coming from above there. Also the driver's side seems more oily than the passenger. Any more help would be appreciated. Thanks guys! I'll be able to get it up on jackstands this weekend and take a better look at it.

Back