Opinion on teflon gaskets?

95_XR7

What is everyone's opinion on the teflon gaskets for the SC's?
I know the gaskets for the IC are a good idea, but more specifically, what about the ones for the SC top, SC inlet to manifold, and throttle body?

IC tube gaskets

I bought the teflon gaskets fot the IC tubes and just installed them. They installed very easy and sealed without any effort at all.:D

I appreciate it. Somehow I missed that thread altogether. :eek:
I guess I'll go ahead and install them. Have the SC, intercooler, etc off anyways to fix a few MAJOR vacuum leaks.

Tefflon IC gaskets

I run Tefflon IC gaskets I bought mine from Tbird88 they work perfect and can be used over and over. I run 35PSI through a double IC with no leaks no issues of any kind with the gaskets

I had some originally from Tbird88. Since then I have just resorted to permatex copper gasket maker for the tubes. LocTite anerobic sealer for the top to blower connection.

Basically just havent bought any new ones. You have to be careful with those so that you align the tubes properly to get a tight fit all the way around. They do not fill any gaps and if you do not keep the pressure even all the way around it is possible that you will squish the gasket so much that it cuts through.

What is everyone's opinion on the teflon gaskets for the SC's?
I know the gaskets for the IC are a good idea, but more specifically, what about the ones for the SC top, SC inlet to manifold, and throttle body?

I think they are great for the IC tube connections, but wouldn't use them for the other stuff.

David

The weight of my double IC cut one so be very careful. Im lucky I had an extra set layin around.

Gaskets....

Use them on all my IC tubes. The throttle body & top pieces I'll use for the 1st time on this next car.

The weight of my double IC cut one so be very careful. Im lucky I had an extra set layin around.

The previous owner put the gaskets on the IC tubes. The problem is, they were kinda thin and needed replaced anyways. I ended up using the gasket for inlet-to-intake manifold. I MAY also try the one for the SC top, and TB but I still have my trusty copper sealer ready.

So, looking at Spinningwheels-SC - it seems that their Teflon is thinner and the ones on that ebay auction are much thicker.

So, looking at Spinningwheels-SC - it seems that their Teflon is thinner and the ones on that ebay auction are much thicker.

I got the ones from the ebay auction. I'll get a picture of them up close compared to the ones that were on there (ripped, and thin.)

I was making the Teflon gaskets out of .32" material ... Wynn's original gaskets were thicker, but that makes them a little harder to cut out.

- Dan

So, with them being thinner then is it hurting anything? Seems like they wouldn't last as long being thinner if you keep undoing and redoing your stuff.

So, with them being thinner then is it hurting anything? Seems like they wouldn't last as long being thinner if you keep undoing and redoing your stuff.

They are still re-useable, they dont compress a whole lot unless you are over tightening the tubes. I would hope you wouldnt need to pull your engine apart more than necessary.

- Dan

Just put them all on. Used the manifold gasket, the IC tube gaskets, and the TB gasket. As far as the SC top, just used the trusty copper rtv.

No vacuum leaks. Car is so much quicker now. Makes boost much sooner. The only downside, is it tops off at 13lbs, so I need to find the source of my leak.

Alright, well I meant if I upgrade something like the blower, etc and have to take everything apart I don't want to have to worry about the gasket breaking.

Back