PDA

View Full Version : Will gas prices drive us into a Depression?

NH89SC
05-16-2008, 09:22 PM
yes definitately

No not a chance

Maybe depending on other factors

Pablo94SC
05-16-2008, 11:00 PM
No, but the banking system giving mortgages to anyone with a pulse definitely headed us in the right direction.

dwayne
05-16-2008, 11:19 PM
yes this country is headed for one bigger than the one in the ,what 20.s or 30,s,it is going to be big.

NH89SC
05-16-2008, 11:27 PM
Thats what I feel pap is right making 29 look like a walk in the park. I am serious all trhe info i have says were going down bad. Push your SC or its a big lawn ornement ( if you still own your house). I am sopory but I have a repair business thats down 50 percent. XXXXXXXXXX

Jim Demmitt Jr
05-16-2008, 11:28 PM
I am depressed now!

I drive just to and from work total of 415.5 miles a week the cost of gas is a joke yes the dipression level is high

NH89SC
05-16-2008, 11:30 PM
No, but the banking system giving mortgages to anyone with a pulse definitely headed us in the right direction.

That was me I guess

NH89SC
05-16-2008, 11:32 PM
Jim I lke your pic LOL

NH89SC
05-16-2008, 11:36 PM
Took my 15 mpg service truck off the road and I am driving a 30 mpg car for now and maybe for ever. Note to self cut back on Bud next time LOL, Sorry I am pissed,

Jim Demmitt Jr
05-16-2008, 11:44 PM
Jim I lke your pic LOL

Thank You

That is Cindy Cooper my girlfriend and soon to be queen bee :-) she is a real sweet heart loves race cars and her father is a Top Fuel Hydro owner and driver

NH89SC
05-16-2008, 11:48 PM
I need a girl like that that has the same interests as me fast cars on a small budget. DWM 43 LOL

David Neibert
05-17-2008, 11:15 AM
No depression...but it's sure to extend the recession we are currently experincing.

David

Merlon
05-17-2008, 01:58 PM
I wish gas was 3.61 here... its $4+ for reg and $4.25 for 93

same here in the scrillacon valley

nwnsc
05-17-2008, 02:06 PM
That was me I guess
me too. gas here in tucson is 3.46 for reg 87 and 3.68 for 91 can't get 93:(:rolleyes:

racecougar
05-18-2008, 09:38 PM
I'll go with the "no not a chance" choice.

-Rod

NH89SC
05-18-2008, 10:08 PM
Lets face it its not getting any better. I bought $75.00 groceries on Fri night now it's almost gone. can't afford anymore increases. XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

dwayne
05-18-2008, 11:21 PM
I would almost bet for $ 75.00 you mabye got 4 bags of grocries.

txsc
05-18-2008, 11:56 PM
Nevermind...................................

blue94sc
05-19-2008, 12:02 AM
Have to say definately. With diesel at 4+ a gallon, that increase has to be absorbed elsewhere. Prices of everything from groceries to general merchandise are going to go up as well. And the saudi's don't care. They're laughing all the way to the bank in their silver plated Audi's. The oil companies are not actually the problem. Yes they make record profits but that is at a very high volume. Their margines are relatively small compared to other industries. It's the middle east and politics where the real problem lies.

We as a country HAVE to be more self sufficient. Drilling on our own soil is one step. At $4.05 for 93 here driving my SC is getting to be less frequent. And it SUX! Tighten up your checkbook we're in for a bumpy ride.
Bill

pablon2
05-19-2008, 08:56 AM
I have a say in where and how I spend my money and I am definitely changing the way I think/live. This gas crap will not 'break me'. It is a paradigm shift folks. Living with/wanting less sometimes feels good.

XxSlowpokexX
05-19-2008, 11:06 AM
A depression..noooo. Tough times..Maybe..Fortunately I;m in a buissness that is doing very well with a bright future that will hopefully ride us through these times. Gas prices are amazing even if I was getting 40 mpg. Self sufficiency is key but it has to do with us relying on fossil fuels in general less.

Regardless of where we get it from. As long as we are so dependant on these fuels everything from milk to a shirt will increase in price due to an increae in oil costs. But how many peopel are willing to give up that dependency...Not many..And many that say they do or will...Have no idea just how dependent they still are.

XR7 Dave
05-19-2008, 12:02 PM
We get most of our oil from Canada and Mexico so the net result of our high prices is not that the middle east is getting rich because they are already extremely rich. What is really happening is that the high prices are making the Canadians and Mexicans rich. Somehow that makes me feel a little bit better. What is really scary is that China has very little in the way of known petroleum resources. This means that when China finally starts to let their own people have cars then we are going to see prices really go up. :eek: The best thing we could do is cut our dependency so that when this happens the Chinese can finally start to make us rich. :D It is still in our best interest to get as much oil as we can out of the middle east and save our own drilling for when China "comes on line".

joshbea6
05-19-2008, 12:03 PM
I've already streamlined the 4.6L bird and at the moment I'm getting 28.5 MPG combined driving. I average 450 miles to a tank (abt 16 Gal per fill). I'm also going to be getting a Motorcycle shortly that does close to 50 MPG.

I'm trying to settle in for the long haul. I'm also working on moving so that I don't have such a long commute (45 miles one way).

I think that this recession will continue. Depression as in feelings...yes most definitely! Economy...no.

As far as the oil companies, I see serious issues with them. They have NOT built any new refineries in what...close to 20 years? You can't tell me that with the $$MULTI-BILLIONS$$ of profit that they are raking in that they can't build any new refineries to help boost the gasoline production, and therefore bring down prices. As long as they are raking in the $$, the costs won't go down, and you won't see ANY alternative fuels making it into the market.

Pablo94SC
05-19-2008, 03:22 PM
Here's a quick way to lessen oil dependency... stop using asphalt and go back to making streets and highways out of concrete. It lasts longer and isn't made with tar. Save the asphault for patch work.

f1rocco
05-19-2008, 10:35 PM
A month ago Id say its a joke to complain about....

I mean come on...1000 miles a month at 20mpg....From $2 a gallon to $4 a gallon is only an extra $100 a month...Wiptdiefrickin do...Stop eating fast food...Smoking cigs...Drinking beer...Less use of Credit cards...etc.etc.etc

But today I thought about how much my Gas bill from my home has gone up..And will continue..How much other deliverable goods have gone up.....How far down my 401k has gone.....How much this will effect pay increases at work....10 years of probably..."Im sorry but the company is struggling excuses"....

So in the end it probably cost an average family $4-6k a year......

dwayne
05-20-2008, 02:49 AM
regular gas here is $3.61 a gallon, we have 93 oct,$3.98 a gallon.desil $4.45 a gallon.im a owner operator of 2 big rigs 2 peterbuilts with reffer trailors,each truck has 2 150 gallon tanks on them plus 1 50 gallon tanks on the trailors plus 2 drivers,to fill 1 truck and trailor to run the reffer 350 gallons of fuel both is 700 gallons of fuel they run coast to coast,3 trips a month.for me to run both trucks it cost $18.000.00a trip for both trucks,3 trips a month for 2 trucks,do the math.10 years ago when i was still driving 1 truck then i was running coast to coast ,$800.00 a trip in fuel.plus gas for my cars,i pay over $10.000.00 a year in road taxes for my tucks to run these great roads we have.a lot of people dont know we pay road taxes.few realize this country keeps going by truck.a lot say the rail move trailors across the country,yes they do.but how do the trailors get to the rail trucks.this country is breaking the trucking industry.what are we supposed to do with the rising cost of fuel,the only thing to do is shut down befor we go broke.a lot of major trucking companis have went out of business,we are the next to do so.i ay again what are we to do???

SuperCharged91
05-20-2008, 02:58 PM
No it will not.

Simply because there are enough safe guards to not allow us to. Things will get bad but eventully the Govt. will have to step in. Hopefully....

decipha
05-20-2008, 05:58 PM
I don't spend anything on gas!

I work at the refinery. We get shell gas cards paid by shell.

Birdman93
05-20-2008, 06:58 PM
Think about this-just about everything you eat, wear, fix, drive, etc has had to be delivered by a truck. How many of you either buy a custom part, or visit the local parts store for items you need to work on your SCs? It has all been delivered by a truck.

The company I drive for has me sitting in Minneapolis. Why? Because we don't have any loads right now-and that's because manufacturers are feeling the crunch now and slowing their lines down, as prices keep soaring for theml.

You can tell the state of the economy by what the independents and companies are doing-we are the first indicators when the economy booms or busts.

dwayne
05-21-2008, 12:18 AM
it is about time people relise trucks keep this country moveing,i apploude you brother trucker.

SuperCharged91
05-21-2008, 01:52 AM
it is about time people relise trucks keep this country moveing,i apploude you brother trucker.

Everyone knows that this country run off of truckers.

David Neibert
05-21-2008, 01:36 PM

This country runs off many things....trucks are certianly one of them, but stuff like electricity, water, phone and computer networks are even more important.

There is a simple solution to the cost of fuel going up for the truckers....raise your prices. If you tell me you won't get any business because the other truckers will undercut your prices, your letting yourself get screwed and your doing just what your customers want you to do. Those guys undercutting you can only do it for the short term, because like you, they too must cover expenses and make a profit to stay in business. So they can't undercut you for very long.

DOT regs, fuel taxes, excise tax ect...ect...are all a part of the business you elected to enter. The fact that it isn't as profitible as it used to be, is more about supply vs. demand of trucks on the road than it is about the cost of fuel.

David

pablon2
05-21-2008, 02:51 PM
Gas went up to $3.85 gal just north of Mpls where I live.

95_XR7
05-21-2008, 03:38 PM
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

It's not that they wnat us to find out, it's that they don't realize what's happening. How many of them have been in this position, OR, how many are in this position now that the economy is bad...NONE.

MagpoweredSC
05-21-2008, 03:58 PM
It's not that they wnat us to find out, it's that they don't realize what's happening. How many of them have been in this position, OR, how many are in this position now that the economy is bad...NONE.

Right on! :cool:

90coug
05-21-2008, 04:07 PM
Don't know about you guys but my ~~~ is back in school come fall. I want to be ready when it hits $10.00 a gallon :eek: Make a fair living now but no way will I be broke and not able to drive the SC :D Cheer up everyone, this is one sad topic.

dwayne
05-21-2008, 10:22 PM
i got a 10 year contract with haynes haulling t-shirts to west coast.of course i have had my trucks running out west anyway.beats the hell out of delevering furniture all over Phenoix,AZ,no touch freight.and they agreed to my price.

None2Slow
05-22-2008, 12:32 AM
Dave,
Its not that they (we) can't or wont raise our prices. Most use a broker to get their loads. The problem is that when a job gets posted for say $2,000, then a broker will step in and will "arrange" for it to get going, then puts it on the board. Then another broker may take it and offer the same job for $1,500. Then another steps in and offers it for $1,000. By the time it gets to the Owner operator, he may make $200-$300 for a coast to coast trip....maybe. Then you have companies like C.R. England and Swift that come in and low ball and have the money and resources to keep the shipping prices low. These companies also don't refuse to haul to certain areas. Some owner opps will turn down loads so they don't deal with weather, traffic or certain companies (Wal-Mart). Plus, by the year 2013, The port of Los Angeles is banning all Owner operators from hauling from there. They voted on this "To lower pollution". Ahhh glad I moved out of Cali.

Read part of it here

As expected, the commissioners who oversee the Port of Los Angeles voted
Thursday, May 15, to ban owner-operators by the end of the year 2013, with the
transition set to begin Oct. 1 (2008).

NH89SC
05-22-2008, 06:41 AM
"With prices for crude oil and gasoline setting records on a daily basis, many market watchers are beginning to wonder whether anything can stop energy's upward momentum—especially after oil futures not only passed $130 a barrel Wednesday for the first time, but kept going and shot past $134 during trading."
Thats what I just read this morning from the Chicago Tribune.

David Neibert
05-27-2008, 08:25 AM
Thank You

That is Cindy Cooper my girlfriend and soon to be queen bee :-) she is a real sweet heart loves race cars and her father is a Top Fuel Hydro owner and driver

Jim,

What happened to your GFs picture ? Funny thing...I could swear I saw that picture before, but I think her name was Diane :confused:

David

XR7 Dave
05-27-2008, 08:43 AM
There is nothing to stop oil prices from continuing to climb. They will continue to climb until we stop using as much. We will be forced to cut back until the law of supply and demand equalizes the price. People don't seem to realize that the price of oil is determined on the open market. In the past prices were set by the cartel to keep things reasonable but greed and the open market have removed that "morality" from the price. Prices will continue to climb until demand subsides. This is the free market that we love so dearly. Merry Christmas.

the-big-e
05-27-2008, 09:55 AM
But here is the real kicker......

The Chinese have bought their oil on the futures market at a set price.....

For every barrel of oil we (the US) conserves, China will use and the price of oil will continue to rise.....:mad:

I saw on the news that aplications for drivers licenses in China were up almost 30% for each of the past years.....:rolleyes:

We use to be OPEC's best customer, but now they could care less about us and want to sell their oil to India and China......

Melt
10-05-2008, 02:07 PM
Just be glad you're not in Canada. Here it's $1.139 per liter for regular and $1.299 for 91.
That calculates out to $4.113 for regular and $4.489 for 91 inculding the 5% exchange difference.
3 weeks ago it was $1.389 per litre for regular that's $5.01 per gallon!! I could drive 20 mins to Michigan and fill up for $4.09

JJP90SC
10-07-2008, 01:21 PM
We are already in a recession, and with the dire straits
this country's finances are in right now, I think a depression
is just around the corner.:eek:
Retirement? Oh well, it was overrated anyway!!
Thank God my wife & I both have good jobs, and I only drive
60 miles total per week, and she only drives 150 miles total
per week. Already cut back on ALL unecessary spending.
Damn sub-prime loans. Those financial institutions deserve
to fail for being that stupid in the first place.:mad:

pablon2
10-07-2008, 02:19 PM
$2.95/gal for 87 octane, $3.15/gal for 92 non-oxygenated premium here.

NH89SC
10-25-2008, 03:57 PM
What are your views now?

watsonlk
10-25-2008, 11:38 PM
Down to $2.30 or lower here in Dallas.

It's all a scam by big oil, no way they can come down this fast with nothing in the market to support the drop.

The hurricanes were supposed to make it go back up, but now it's almost half as much what, two months ago?

Scam and theft by oil gurus

XR7
10-26-2008, 10:52 AM
$2.119 in Buffalo, MN on 10/25/2008

Duffy Floyd
10-29-2008, 05:17 PM
No political posts here.....right????????

MagpoweredSC
10-29-2008, 05:20 PM
I apologize

Melt
10-31-2008, 09:15 AM
Gas has really dropped here in the last week. I saw 0.939 a litre for 87. $3.56 a gallon Canadian. That's about $2.85 a gallon for regular.
I saw the posts complaining about grocery pricess and I was over in Michigan a week ago with my girlfriend and she couldn't believe how cheap the groceries were. If we bought our groceries in Michigan they would have cost 30-40% less than in Canada. Seems like it's about par for the course though.