75mm TB problem

bigpoppa822

So over the winter I installed my 75mm Professional Products TB. I then bought a 3.5" Payton intake to use with my setup, figured I'd grab a couple reducing couplers and off I go. Well, my Payton intake hits the shock tower and doesn't clear the AC and fuel lines very well. It also doesn't line up perfectly with the TB opening.
So I went the redneck way and bought a sweep of 3" id electrical conduit (the grey stuff) and a couple couplers. That doesn't clear the AC and fuel lines, either. This is pissing me off to no end because it's all I need to finish up my car and none of the things I do work.

So, what intakes are you guys running with 75mm TBs? Did you have any fitment problems with any of them?

I ran a 3" Magnum Powers intake with my 75MM BBK throttle body with no problems, changed to the Magnum Powers 85MM throttle body with the matching 3.5" Magnum Powers tube no troubles with it either. There is no need to have a larger intake tube than the size of you TB.

I know I don't need a bigger intake tube than my TB. I'm not asking about that. Other people run 3.5" intakes without 85mm TBs too.

I ran a 80 mm C&L along with a 75 mm BBK and had to use the 3.5" MP intake tube. Even with the larger tube and couplers, it was very difficult to get the coupler over the MAF.

I ran a 80 mm C&L along with a 75 mm BBK and had to use the 3.5" MP intake tube. Even with the larger tube and couplers, it was very difficult to get the coupler over the MAF.

You didn't have any problems with the tube hitting the shock tower right by the overflow tank, did you? That's what's giving me all the trouble. I had to put the stock tube back on and it barely fits over my 76mm MAF and makes my cone filter hit the IRCM.

I had to leave the C&L floating loose. If you are trying to attach it to the stock airbox, this may be causing your problem. Due to the increase size, it is practically impossible for a larger MAF and tube combo to bolt up to the airbox and not hit something.

Tom,

I looked at your mod list. Do you have an adjustable regulator on your fuel rail?

Miller,

Are you asking me or Tom? I am not trying to. I had the MP CAI but I looked to see if it was possible to run the setup with a stock airbox if funds didn't allow the purchase of the MP kit.

I'm running my car with the stock airbox, 76mm C&L and a 75mm Pro Products TB with the stock air tube and have no issues. The stock air tube actually matches up to the MAF and TB nicely size wise so thats not going to be a restriction unless your trying to run an MP blower with losts of OD then you should be using a cone filter at that point I think.

Frit

Frit,

The accordian nature of the stock tube itself is restrictive to flow, irregardless of what kind of blower you are running. You would probably pick up some top end power by swapping yours out for something smooth that maintains constant diameter even if it is ABS pipe.

I am not running the stock airbox. I have a 9" K&N with a 15 degree offset stuck on the end of my C&L. Then I have the stock air tube connecting it to the 75mm TB. With the cone filter there it makes the air tube bind up and pinch itself near the TB, making it smaller.

Right now I'm sitting in my chair sanding down a piece of PVC and hoping that it will clear the shock tower tomorrow.

I have stock a fuel system with the exception of the injectors.

Frit,

The accordian nature of the stock tube itself is restrictive to flow, irregardless of what kind of blower you are running. You would probably pick up some top end power by swapping yours out for something smooth that maintains constant diameter even if it is ABS pipe.

I don't think so, even if I went with the best of the best pipe at this time its not going to make any measurable difference to a car that is stock or midly modded from what I've observed. At those levels like I'm at, the biggest restrictions are the TB, MAF, then inlet plenum on the cold air side.

We'll find out soon enough though, as I move up the power band as that tube will be staying in the car ;).

Frit

I don't think the inside of the stock tube has the texture anyway, does it? I bought a used SCP tube that I haven't installed yet (3in.) and the chrome is rubbed off in a spot, so it was hittin something.

Back