Back together, no started engagement

tydlwavs

1990 SC, Turned the key all the way and no starter engagement. All the wiring is hooked up and correct, but I can't determine the problem.

Gonna go out there again and check fuses, wiring and the EEC.

Any ideas?

my be the starter realy by the battrie when it went out on me i had to use a screw driver to jump between the termanils till friday to get a new one

Got it to crank a few times, but it was really weak. I think the battery was sitting too long. I'm going to try another battery tonight and see what happens. I cleaned the terminals on the EEC little better too, but I honestly don't think that did a thing.

I don't have a charger so I might have to find a buddy with one and set it up for the night.

-Todd

Auto or manual? There is a switch that makes you press on the brake to start with the automatics. You can bypass and end a lot of problems
use search to find that page.

The car is an auto. Foot was on the brake pedal. I'm trying again with a good battery in about 20 minutes.

It was the battery...next demon...

The car holds idle in park or neutral around 2500 and it didn't drop below 2200 when it got warm and the t-stat opened.

Any ideas for an idle that high? I don't have a multi-meter so if I need to start testing sensors I'm gonna need a local guy to help me out. I took pictures of the throttle linkage and I can post them if people know the "normal" location for that and the set screw on the throttle body.

It's aliiiive!

What's the idle when in gear? IAC? Try disconnecting it and see. My experience is the set screws don't get messed with very much.

Idle dropped down to 800-1000 ish when I put the car in reverse and drive. To me that is more normal.

ummmmmmm.... your supposed to put the oil IN the motor not on it.. alota smokeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

It's a motor I bought from a bone yard. I think it sat outside for a long time before I got it. I haven't had it running until today so there's a lot to burn off. That...and I painted the manifolds with high temp paint and the cats have been sitting a long time (from a 55k mile car).

Lotta smoke yes...but from my experience even with newer motors you have to burn this stuff off. No oil on the engine at all.

throttle cable stuck, TB settings all fugged up, check your TPS voltage should be .97 , spray carb cleaner around try n find a vac leak

Throttle cable is free. Idle settles down to 1000rpm when it's in gear(car has underdrives). I noticed that the manifolds are turning brown. There is definitely a smell of hot something under hood. I haven't checked TPS voltage yet.

I pulled the dipstick and it looked like it's charred right where it fits between the clylinders on the exhaust manifold.

Did some searching here (didn't look before posting the initial note about the idle). I gangstered the IAC off my parts car, tossed it into my 90 and BAM! Car runs like a top. The little discs inside the 1995 IAC were loose.

Thanks again to the search function;)

I appreciate the help guys. Onto the next step, ABS delete:) Hopefully that won't take me 6 months to complete like the engine did.

-Todd

Back