PDA

View Full Version : Replacement Motor

jleopold
05-19-2008, 10:08 PM
Hey guys...

I think the SC came in a 5.0 motor for the 1990 right ?

if that is true... can I replace my 3.8L with the 5.0 and avoid all the hell of the SC stuff ? and would they be easier to find ?

is this possible ?

John

Ddubb
05-19-2008, 11:40 PM
Hey John, why didnt you buy my 91 5.0 Tbird I had listed for sale here not too long ago .. it was only $500, for a complete running car, passed smog and everything - just needed a new AOD transmisison and you already have a brand new one in your car.

- Dan

Merlon
05-19-2008, 11:42 PM
the sc came in a 5.0 motor?

what?

what?

seriously though....what?

what does that even mean?

are you asking if the 5.0 came supercharged? is that your question?

or if the thunderbird had a 5.0 option in 1990? and if the bigger v8 could be easily fit into the engine bay,..

Ddubb
05-20-2008, 07:53 AM
LOL, what ? What ?

No SC ever came with a 5.0.

The Thunderbird was available with a 5.0 from 91 until 93.

- Dan

Merlon
05-20-2008, 10:00 AM
LOL, what ? What ?

No SC ever came with a 5.0.

The Thunderbird was available with a 5.0 from 91 until 93.

- Dan

of course i knew that, however the way he posed his question confused me. i dont know what his question is...;)

Merlon
05-20-2008, 10:02 AM
sc gfx are cheap...you can buy a 5.0 or 4.6 bird, and place side skirts and rear bumper on them to look like an sc...i did...and i love it.

the reliability of a 4.6 and the look of an sc.

here is a picture of my bagged bird..

mines the shaved all white one, and the other is when dan owned it.

btw, they are different rear bumpers...mines a 94sc bumper his is an 89-93 bumper.

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z306/merlon86/clean.jpg

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z306/merlon86/dansbird.jpg

Ddubb
05-20-2008, 06:57 PM
If only I had the time to put together a pictorial of the different "looks" I went through with that car ...

Anyways, WHAT ? What is the question John ? You posted in the Tech section also, and you already asked about fixing the HG's about a month or so ago saying you already had a new engine ???? WHAT ? Youre confusing me, but then again, this will probably disappear down the thread, and another question will pop up about a month later .. hmmmm

- Dan

Merlon
05-20-2008, 08:38 PM
If only I had the time to put together a pictorial of the different "looks" I went through with that car ...

Anyways, WHAT ? What is the question John ? You posted in the Tech section also, and you already asked about fixing the HG's about a month or so ago saying you already had a new engine ???? WHAT ? Youre confusing me, but then again, this will probably disappear down the thread, and another question will pop up about a month later .. hmmmm

- Dan

im sorry for my over usage of the word "what"...its all i could think when i was so confused by the question-esque topic.

Ddubb
05-20-2008, 09:20 PM
What ? What was the question ?

- Dan

Merlon
05-20-2008, 10:42 PM
what indeed?

jleopold
05-21-2008, 01:35 AM
You guy's are a tough crowd :-)

What I was asking is if the T-bird came as a 5.0L --- if so, could I put that engine in my car as a replacement --- gaining the V8 power and sound of the mustang in a Bird. I have to fix my engine so I'm exploring all the options.

Jim Demmitt Jr
05-21-2008, 01:37 AM
Merlon

Nice looking SC the paint stripes looks like the GT350 I would put a 5.4 Supercharged DOHC Modular engine in John's SC if it where me. Rod (racecougar) put a Modular engine in his XR7 Cougar he can give him step by step install detail

Ddubb
05-21-2008, 08:03 PM
Merlon

Nice looking SC the paint stripes looks like the GT350 I would put a 5.4 Supercharged DOHC Modular engine in John's SC if it where me. Rod (racecougar) put a Modular engine in his XR7 Cougar he can give him step by step install detail

It looks like a Thunderbird to me - its not an SC, and doesnt look anything like a GT350.

Shoot, if I had an extra $10,000 laying around I would drop that 5.4 DOHC with the Supercharger on it in my Tbird too, thats about as much work as putting a 5.0 in there, not to mention you would need to cut part of the framerails for clearance on the sides, and a big cowl hood for that badboy.

Then again, youd still be stuck with an older style 89-93 SC interior, beat up door panel, and worn out suspension components.

Rod's step by step ? He's using an EEC-V to control his 4.6 DOHC. Thats re-wiring, and re-programming for the EEC to make that work with his vehicle.

Ive installed a 4.6 DOHC in a Tbird before using a complete Mark 8 for parts. That was fun.

I have a complete Mark 8 in my Backyard right now .. hmmmmm ...

Hey John, you want that Mustang sound .. go buy a Mustang. Sorry to tell you, that 5.0 in stock form just doesnt have the balls your SC does.

- Dan

Jim Demmitt Jr
05-21-2008, 08:40 PM
Merlon

Who did the paint work stripping to get the GT350 effect? John PM Rod racecougar get some ideas on the Modular engine install if you want to go 5.0 look into Roush or Ford Motorsports for complete engine

Rod now has the Aluminator modular engine in his Cougar fits tight but well worth it in performance

Ddubb
05-21-2008, 09:05 PM
Merlon

Who did the paint work stripping to get the GT350 effect? John PM Rod racecougar get some ideas on the Modular engine install if you want to go 5.0 look into Roush or Ford Motorsports for complete engine

Rod now has the Aluminator modular engine in his Cougar fits tight but well worth it in performance

Uh .. hey Jim, I did the paint on the Thunderbird to get the Thunderbird with Racing stripes effect, not a GT350 effect.

And Rod does not have an "Aluminator", its a Mark 8 DOHC engine with a Kenne Belle SC and a 4r70w transmission, you would need to upgrade and re-wire the vehicle to use the EEC-V or EEC-IV for the electronically controlled transmission or a standalone management unit to control the 4r70w behind the 4.6 engine.

- Dan

Jim Demmitt Jr
05-21-2008, 09:09 PM
Uh .. hey Jim, I did the paint on the Thunderbird to get the Thunderbird with Racing stripes effect, not a GT350 effect.

And Rod does not have an "Aluminator", its a Mark 8 DOHC engine with a Kenne Belle SC and a 4r70w transmission, you would need to upgrade and re-wire the vehicle to use the EEC-V or EEC-IV for the electronically controlled transmission or a standalone management unit to control the 4r70w behind the 4.6 engine.

- Dan

Dan

I think you better get your facts right I talked with him and he has the Aluminator PM him and find out for yourself

Jim Demmitt Jr
05-21-2008, 09:42 PM
Nice Editing to your post ....

- Dan

Warning Hint

Duffy removed both our posts I think that should tell us both something

racecougar
05-21-2008, 10:27 PM
Dan

I think you better get your facts right I talked with him and he has the Aluminator PM him and find out for yourself

Jim,

You never talked to me...we haven't even met. I posted in this thread (http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98710) you started a while back, where I thought it was clear that I did not use the "Aluminator" engine from Ford but built a very similar engine (an improved upon version) for my XR7. It's a 5.0L stroker DOHC V8 using a '94 Teksid block. All of the specs are listed here. (http://forums.tccoa.com/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=52) Get YOUR facts straight. ;)

I'll let you guys get back to bickering now.

-Rod

mannysc
05-21-2008, 10:30 PM
wow i thought it looked like Gt350 style too .

I likeded it alot too

Duffy Floyd
05-21-2008, 10:49 PM
Enough already...thread closed.