Can you exchange the 3.8 to a 5.0 ?

jleopold

Hey guys...

I think the SC came in a 5.0 motor for the 1990 right ?

if that is true... can I replace my 3.8L with the 5.0 and avoid all the hell of the SC stuff ? and would they be easier to find ?

is this possible ?

I've blow a head gasket and I'm looking for a solution...

Change the motor all together to a newer 3.8
Change the motor to a 5.0 ( if possible )

Fix the head gaskets and hope it works ?

Thoughts ???

John

I thought the 5.0 started in 91.

Yes it is possible.

I'd fix it, when done right, these things can really scream. :)

it will be less work to keep the 3.8 because if you go 5.0 you have to change the wireing, eec, motor mounts, and a few other things. lx's came with a 5.0 from 91-93 Sc's only came with 3.8 head gaskets are not that bad to change

Last edited:
Then head gasket it is...

I was hoping to shoot for the 5.0 simply for the V8 sound on the SC but... if fixing the head gasket is the better way ... all I need is someones version of good instructions and I'll DIMS ( do it myself) ...

Do we have any solid threads with instructions ?

I never looked at an sc motor before i bought mine. The whole top end was in the trunk. I have never had any mechanical training in my life and i did it with a chiltons and some patience. Take your time and double check everything as you go and you will be fine

Why dont you just buy a whole new car with a V8 already in it .. like a 94-97 4.6 Tbird. Then you wont have to deal with everything you would need to do to make it work, then getting it past smog inspection, etc etc ...
Id rather replace the head gaskets in the SC before turning it into something else.

- Dan

Hey guys...

I think the SC came in a 5.0 motor for the 1990 right ?

John

No. All SCs feature the 3.8, but Ford did add the 5.0 as an option in the LX Thunderbird from 1991-1993. I agree with the others, you'd probably spend less money buying a complete 5.0 Bird if that's what you want, but it won't be as fast as an SC.

I love my 5.0L SC :D Its plenty fast for what I am doing with it.

Everyone is right Ford did not put the 5.0L in the SC but only in the LX birds from '91-93.

Its true, much cheaper to just replace the head gaskets on the 3.8L then to rip everything out and put the 5.0L in and make everything work. Its deffinitely do-able but expensive. I'd say the most feasable reason to swapping in a 5.0L is if you already had a 5.0L laying around and the 3.8L motor was destroyed.

Shane
Glynn Motorsports

i would think it would be a lot cheaper to buy a 5.0 t-bird then get a sc parts car and just use all the sc body and interior trim. you also wont have to mess with the abs and all the other fun stuff on the sc.

Well actually you could order a base Thunderbird with the Sport Package in 91-92. The 91 Sport isn't in any brochures but I've seen one. I owned a 92 sport with a 5.0. If you did a VIN lookup on my car it was a base with a 5.0.

To do the swap you need to buy a t-bird with a 5.0 of the same year, just for all the parts you will need. Pretty much everything under the hood is differnt. Dave Dalke did this swap on my 93 SC as a starting point for my 347 turbo SC project.

David

You know, I get more attention from you guys than... well ... never mind... I could turn up divorced if I write that !!!

Thanks guys...

Okay so I'm going to just fix the gaskets. Heck I put in the heater core on my Chevy Blazer and it works great... I saved $1,300 ---vs. $120 on parts and time...

So...now I need a "Best Practice" on how do get this thing done. Like... tools I need, where are the hidden screws... etc. and what should I do while the car is in pieces...

Back