Upgraded pedals.

ricardoa1

bullittpedals.jpg

So while my bird is down I purchased a set of Mustang Cobra/Mach1 pedals from Ford Racing. And so far two nights into them I got the clutch and brake pads on. Still to do are the accelerator pedal and the dead pedal.
These are much easier to do but I am in need of a mustang pedal assembly so I can steal the longer pin from it. The thunderbird one is smaller.

I have been doing it with the pedals installed on the car minus the accelerator pedal which needs to be removed but it is very easy to remove.
I did not want to remove the other pedals and was determined to install the pads without the removal. And so far I have been successful but Jesus has it been draining.

I used a dremel with a cut wheel and a set of adjustable pliers to bend the brake/clutch pedals into shape. That was easy, The hard part is really is installing the pads on while down in the there, no space to move around and the pad flaps are very stiff and hard to manipulate to cover the pedals, After an hour each success.

Next is the accelerator very easy to do but like I said the pin is holding me back, Ford only sells the complete assembly so I will hunt one down this weekend at the local yard, Unless someone can come up with a place to get them at some hardware site.

Dead pedal was tought to get the original pad off I pried it from the top first and that gave me better results. It should be a piece of cake.

So while my bird is down I purchased a set of Mustang Cobra/Mach1 pedals from Ford Racing. And so far two nights into them I got the clutch and brake pads on. Still to do are the accelerator pedal and the dead pedal.
These are much easier to do but I am in need of a mustang pedal assembly so I can steal the longer pin from it. The thunderbird one is smaller.

I have been doing it with the pedals installed on the car minus the accelerator pedal which needs to be removed but it is very easy to remove.
I did not want to remove the other pedals and was determined to install the pads without the removal. And so far I have been successful but Jesus has it been draining.

I used a dremel with a cut wheel and a set of adjustable pliers to bend the brake/clutch pedals into shape. That was easy, The hard part is really is installing the pads on while down in the there, no space to move around and the pad flaps are very stiff and hard to manipulate to cover the pedals, After an hour each success.

Next is the accelerator very easy to do but like I said the pin is holding me back, Ford only sells the complete assembly so I will hunt one down this weekend at the local yard, Unless someone can come up with a place to get them at some hardware site.

Dead pedal was tought to get the original pad off I pried it from the top first and that gave me better results. It should be a piece of cake.

Very nice. And yes, they are a royal PIA to install. I have a set also so I will tell you what I have found. Make sure that the rubber "seal" that goes around the outside of the pedal is on good. Especially on the clutch pedal, or you will find that the rubber starts to seperate from the pedal. Maybe it's because I tend to slip the clutch from the outside instead of picking up my foot and planting it firmly across the entire pedal, but the rubber around the outside of the pedal has been slowly peeling for a while now.

Just something to be aware of.

Ira

Ira,

It seems that the rubber edge that you speak of is attached to the metal by holes in the metal that passtru the rest of the rubber backing. I managed to pry the bottom edge and I noticed that I ripped these very small strings that connect the outer edge rubber to the rubber on the other back side rubber. Once the tabs/strings break the edge become unattached.

Ira,

It seems that the rubber edge that you speak of is attached to the metal by holes in the metal that passtru the rest of the rubber backing. I managed to pry the bottom edge and I noticed that I ripped these very small strings that connect the outer edge rubber to the rubber on the other back side rubber. Once the tabs/strings break the edge become unattached.

That's interesting. I havn't looked that close because I still have the rubber there, it's just pealing back. It looks almost as if it's glued to the pedal and the glue is breaking away. I'll have to climb under there for a closer look and see if my problem is as you describe.. maybe there is a way to restitch it together again.

Ira

I doubt there in easy fix on them, better to just replace the pad, They sell them individualy. It think it is all in the moulding process of the rubber. The melted rubber oozzes thru the small perforations to secure itself to, if you pry the rubber it simply breaks apart.
Epoxy would be a better fix. I dont slip off the clutch to the side so I should be ok for a while.

I will try to post a picture when I finish. It is so worth it. It looks great, and gives it a very good feel.

Here are the results. I decided to use the stock pin.

Id like the accel lower, one these days i will drill a new hole on the accel pedal lever and lower the pin and pad. But for now this will have to do.

Here is a cool video to make it easier. I wish I had seen this before.
http://www.americanmuscle.com/forabupem.html

Attachments

• pedals 009.jpg
    pedals 009.jpg
    386.4 KB · Views: 42
  • pedals 007.jpg
    pedals 007.jpg
    218 KB · Views: 36
  • pedals 003.jpg
    pedals 003.jpg
    276.3 KB · Views: 38
  • pedals 004.jpg