need smog help asap!!!

slipknot1212121

Well I been drivin around alll day to smog my car and the shops tell me, you have to have 3 cats... my book says 3 bla bla, so now i cant smog it??rediculous!!! I KNOW my 93 sc is only sopposed to have 2...so the best I can do is, one guy said if i can get a diagram of a 93 sc exhaust that shows only 2 cats then he would smog my car,every other shop just didnt wanna do it. anybody?? where can i find such a diagram? I googled but even the one i found shows 3 cats. I need a real sc exhaust diagram asap!!!! my day already half wasted!! thanx everybody!!!

Would help to know what state you're in. Pre-94 cars are not subject to the regulations that 94 and up have. A "smog" test should be a 4 gas analyser regardless of the exhause setup. It is run on a simple Dyno (usually 2 stage) for 1-2 minutes while they measure emissions.

Find a garage that can do that test and forget about the place that's telling you about number of cats... unless you're in a state that checks, its irrelevant.

I had the same problem here in Fl a few years back with a Toyota that the state said should have a cat and didnt,so I had the local dealer photocopy the appropriate parts page that included the entire exhaust system for that car and appealed to the emission station manager and won.If your car is as was built and can prove it you will wil if you try hard enough,unless your in California then your screwed.

dealer

If you're real nice, someone behind the parts desk at the dealership could hook you up. At least they have the ability to. I've had them print up parts diagrams for me before.
Your best bet may be to find a smog shop in a heavily industrial part of town.
Passing smog can be a real nightmare sometimes.

good luck
MB

As far as I know the 93's did have 3 cats. I think this was because they did not have EGR. Regardless, you don't need 3 cats to pass the actual emissions test, this I do know.

My 94 has 3 cats and an EGR valve, depending on the state if it doesnt pass a visual test (inspectors descretion) it wont pass a sniffer regardless what comes out the tailpipes.

Go to a crappy part of town, and find a shop you can bribe with beer.

Thats all well and good as long as the state isnt running the show. We had state inspection stations down here and there wasnt any bribing anybody.:(

unless your in California then your screwed.

I dont have a problem here in California with my 1994. I looked in my Ford shop manual and it shows the Manual SC has 3 cats and the Automatic has 2. I had a concern because my SC was originally auto and I put in a Manual transmission, and since my resonator was replaced with a Y pipe also. So I talked to the smog tech and he looked it up in his book. It shows a 2 cat and 3 cat listing.

I dont know about 1993 though ..

- Dan

well guys I found a shop that ran the bird...Hell they didnt even inspect anytthing!!or spoke english :) my kind of guys ha. So after a b.s. day , I got her smogged.. And yea, Im in california.. and still passed with flying colors.. Thanx all!!

ps I also did a 5spd swap from auto,,then it would kinda make sence them telling me i need 3 cats, I forgot about that also....

Back