My symptoms, in hope for the cause/fix

raideron

Hi,

I have a 1990 anniv. SC. Stock, No mods except for the filter box and K&N filter. And head light wiring. She has been great for the last 135 thosand miles.
She is still running good, Only replacements to date, Crank Sensor @ about 65-70,000, Rad. @ 75,000, water pump/Stat. @ 80,000, At 120,000 I put in the second set of plugs(APP's forgot the number, but whats called for the SC) along with new wires. My 3p splitfires lasted from 25,000 to this last set :) Ohh yeah 2 set of rotors/brakes. Not counting what Ford changed during the 7 yr warr. But just today it started doing this..

Was cruising at about 60 smoothly in drive, when the power dropped to what seemed like 4 cylinders (all seemed smooth just no guts) the check engine light also came on, this lasted for about 2-4mins during which I played with the throttle and floored it a few times, no real shaking it just seemed to have very little power. Then the light went out and all was normal for the rest of the trip to work. After work I looked around and saw nothing loose and I started home after about 7 miles I stopped at a drive through and after about 1-2 mins of idle she started acting like it was missing,(no check eng. light) I rev'ed her up a few times and after less then a min. all was OK again.
She ran great the rest of the 5 miles home...

Any thought's what may be going out/wrong???

Was going to do the paper clip / check engine code check... Hope I have that info correct on what/where to connect??...

Anyway thanks for any help/Info

Ron

Last edited:
With the CEL on, it's definitely a sensor of some sort. Could be the DIS module. Could also be the MAF as well. Basically need to pull the codes to see. Otherwise you'll be on an expensive Easter Egg hunt.

Sounds like a failing fuel pump to me. The CEL could have tripped due to a lean condition, also what may have caused the power loss.

Sorry for the delay

Thanks for the replies.. I've been gone for a bit so did not do a thing to the SC yet. Will read the codes today and post in hopes of replys..

On a side note, The SC has not been ran since my problem, I did use her to go RC flying about 6 miles down the road with no problem, I told the wife to just let her sit till I find out whats wrong when I get back..

Well yesterday she used it to go to that store a 1/4 mile down the road, she said that it started right up and ran just fine but after about 45min she got back in to head home.. She said that it started up right away, but then started shaking really bad. She shut her off and restarted but it was still shaking so she shut it off and walked home.. When I got home we went to get her, She started and ran just great.....

Well I'll pull the codes tonight(hope) if my friend brings the code reader and I'll post... Also hoping the above would shed a bit more light on the causes...
Could the Fuel pump and/or injectors be causing this??

Thanks

Ron

Read Codes???

Hi Again,

Well I pulled the codes... I did three (3) test each and I got the same numbers...

KOEO

I had a 11<?> at the start.... Then on all three different test:

1st: 46 & 46

2nd: 46 & 46

3nd: 46 & 46

Engine running( Twice):

1st: 77, 74, 77, 74

2nd: 77, 74, 77, 74

K.... On the engine off test I guess it's the, Thermactor Air System unable to bypass air ( vent to atmosphere ) ??? And or DIS problems / Primary circuit problems in coil.. The tester I used (Actron) did not have the full
manuel.. For the engine on test... That part of the manuel was missing..
That's it for now...

So should I replace the DIS????

Thanks for any info/help

Ron

Last edited:
I'm getting lost :)

Thanks for the info........ But......

What happened to my reading of the codes???? I thought the MAF was out
of being the problem?? I did pull it and all looked good and intact

And on the Harmonic balancer... I can't say that I checked the bolt, but all pulleys are running true with no wobble/noise what so ever...

Anyhow will check all to see..... Anymore help/info...

Thanks again

Ron

I may be wrong... But I have not had any problems to date at 130+ miles with the HB....

But will check the bolt to make sure.... Hoping for more direction on checks, causes:)

Thanks

Ron

why do these cars have so many HB problems.and what causes it.

The HB has Rubber in it so time & miles get to it, imagine an 18 year old tire....

I would say it depends on your seasonal location & if it is driven all the time.

I have had 2 cars 89/90 HB failure 150K & 170K

try re-greasing the dis, if it has'nt been done lately, ignition switch and it's box might be going

Thanks for the info... I'll try regreasing the DIS..

On my KOEO code reading test...

I got two each(2-11's & 2-46's) on three different test along with a single flash, unsure what the single flash was... Anyway I got as I counted all flashes:

KOEO

1-

11- System passed

11-

46- Coil Pack 2 (B) circuit failed (3.8L SC only)
Or Thermactor Air not by-passed during self-test (5.0L only)

46-

Engine running I got:

77- Wide Open Throttle (WOT) not sensed during self-test
74-
77-
74- Brake on/off switch failure

The above is as the flashes/reading happened and all the code I got....

So, besides the engine on results, Does the KOEO test not tell me that the DIS is what failed??
Or is it just a starting point and more checks is needed??

Thanks again

Ron

i figured the DIS was bad from the start. try finding a good one from someone on here or ebay along with putting some new heatsink compound underneath it. if that not it then i would look at your balancer being bad.

Thanks...

Well I bit the bullet and just went with with a new Standard brand DIS @ $56.00... Hope that was a OK price???? It listed for 156 I think....

Should be in tomorrow and I'll put it in...And hope for the best...

Will still check all of the above....

Does just disconnecting the battery reset the computer??

Thanks again... We let all know how it goes

Ron

On the HB.... Would I not get a bad code on the crank sensor?? Or at least the same problems as a bad crank sensor??

Last edited:
Well after talking to a few people about my codes, it was about a 60/40 on the DIS module / coil pack, and since the place I was getting this from went ahead and ordered both, and "sort of" let me get either or.. I went with the coil pack....(cheapest, plus I got to try it out and pay/or.. for it on Monday.
I had the prices mixed.. It was $56 for the coil pack and $72 for the DIS
module..

Anyway put on about 50+ miles since yesterday and so far so good no problems, I did notice a bit more pull in the 50 to 120mph range... Will add more miles tomorrow to give it a better chance to let me know if I'll keep it or get the module.

Thanks again all

Ron

Just an update :).... The Bird is still cruising great!! No problems.. It may be
still early to tell... But so far so good... Even got two newer GT's that was "fool" enough to try me at 65+..... Good bye :)...

Thanks again

Ron

Back