Shifter stick totaly disconnect

Thundersc90

Hi ( sorry for my bad english)

I go do the down town i shift in second gear and the stick disconnect from transmission? i bought this car 2 month ago and every week and i make mechanic on it:( its in realy good shape... somes one have idea why and how to repair my shifter without removing transmission i need the car today.. i cut the leather around stick remove fiber material and now i see rubber how to remove this ruber thx for you time if you understand what i try to say lol
:)

the rubber part is attched to a metal pate that has 4 bolt holding it down. with that out you should have the room to fix it.

Reading your post above, it sounds as if instead of removing the center console, you cut the leather boot to gain access?? If this is the case, you will need to remove the center console to dig deeper into your problem. I did the exact same thing on my '89 years ago. Shifted 1-2, and the entire stick popped right out. I was able to shove it back in and was careful (was in traffic on the highway..bad time to loose shifting capabilities...)

Either find a donor car that you can get the shifter out of, or go get another new shifter like the B&M. You do not need to remove the trans from the car to address this problem. All of the work can be done from inside the car through the shifter hole. Keep some rags there with you though, as it can get dirtier then you really want it to inside your car quite quickly..

Shifter is two pieces.

One piece in transmission.
One piece is handle you hold on to and is bolted with two bolts to the first part which is shaft coming out of transmission.

To work on... Remove center console. Screws in the arm rest box and two screws up front under dash edge. Rest are clips, pull back and up.

Then screws hold plate with leather to body of car. remove screws, remove shift knob. Slide leather boot off.

Rubber is held on with spring clip on top of transmission.

No cutting... you will cause too much damage.

Use loc-tite on the new bolts. This because if they backed out, problem with threads due to the soft material lever is made from. Use loc-tite blue or red to provide resistance to backing out in future.

Back