PDA

View Full Version : Door glass adhesive?

XR7Kurt
05-24-2008, 09:20 AM
Hey guys, when I fixed my windows a few years ago I remember asking you guys here. Whatever I found out has worked great but I need to do it again on different cars. I searched for the thread but couldn't find it. Sorry to ask the same question again I'll write it down this time.:D
Hope everyone has a great weekend,
Kurt

the-big-e
05-24-2008, 09:37 AM
I just go to the junk yard and get a window out of the nearest MN-12......

There are plenty of them out there....:rolleyes:

A cheap and easy fix that I have done on at least three of my SCs.....

XR7Kurt
05-24-2008, 09:47 AM
I just need to glue the window back into the plastic clips. Is there a different setup than this?

the-big-e
05-24-2008, 10:01 AM
I have read the threads where guys had good results using a particular adhesive, then another where it didn't work so well.....:confused:

With all my parts cars, I just figured out that switching the whole window out was the best option....

You are going to be that far into the tear down anyway.....

XR7Kurt
05-24-2008, 10:16 AM
With all my parts cars, I just figured out that switching the whole window out was the best option....

The junkyard I use is 40 minutes away so the parts store works better for me when it will work. Whatever I used last time lasted 4 years and is still holding strong, I just have more that need fixed now.

A1cntrler
05-24-2008, 10:40 AM
I think what you are looking for is called 3M window Weld. Comes is a tube like you would use in a caulking gun. I used that one one side, and believe it or not Gorilla Glue on the other side, and both have held up just fine..

the-big-e
05-24-2008, 10:48 AM
http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17743&highlight=clip+adhesive

Just make sure that you have very clean sufaces for the adhesive to stick to....

XR7Kurt
05-24-2008, 10:56 AM
Thanks guys, I think that's the post I was looking for but I only searched the Florida forum. I guess Dan was the Florida connection in my brain.

Just make sure that you have very clean sufaces for the adhesive to stick to....
Yes, I clearly remember the cleaning part.:p

A1cntrler
05-24-2008, 11:03 AM
Oh--and if you do end up going the Gorilla Glue route--read the instructions.. I know it seems to go against all things holy, but make sure the surfaces are damp when you put the glue on...

mike williams
05-24-2008, 04:05 PM
Well when all else fails. You can always use JB weld. I used it a few years ago to mine and it is still holding fine. Got to love JB weld. Over one million uses on an SC. LOL

SuperChicken89
05-25-2008, 01:37 PM
When I fixed the driver's door glass several years ago, I used 3M Channel bond. This is the same stuff, which I used to repair all of the windows in my 69 Cougar 10+ years prior. I guess Ford didn't learn 20 years earlier that bonding glass to the attaching mechanism didn't work:rolleyes:

Bryan

ThunderDave
05-25-2008, 02:27 PM
Well when all else fails. You can always use JB weld. I used it a few years ago to mine and it is still holding fine. Got to love JB weld. Over one million uses on an SC. LOL

I used this as well the last time I needed to do one and it's held a year so far.