overheating problem resolved!!!

decipha

I purchased a sc back in march. Ever since I bought it its been running really hot. I changed out the 197 thermostat with a 180 thermo. and flushed the coolant. It helped but minimally at best, still overheated. Today, since I didn't have work I decided I was going to fix the overheating problem once and for all. I was determined even if I had to go as far as pulling the heads and checking them for cracks!!! I removed the hose from the water pump to the thermostat housing and started the car. To my surprise the water was barely flowing. I then removed the hose from the thermostat housing and although it flowed alot better it still wasn't flowing like it should. I then removed my lower radiator hose and took the metail coil out of it. Filled the radiator back up and started engine and voila! Water was flowing at the rate of niagara falls. I inspected the inside of the thermo to water pump hose and it was pretty dirty. I changed that out as well with a new hose and now my temperature has been stuck at O in norm on the temp gauge. I've been driving the car around all day and haven't had any issues. Even idling in traffic the temp gauge does not move.

so, if any of you are having similiar problems, inspect those hoses first. Its not a bad idea to remove those coils in the radiator hoses. It helped me out tremendously maybe some one some where will benefit from this write up.

-enjoy

The word now is to replace coolant hoses on your car every 3 - 4 years regardless of what they look like. This due to advancements in hoses that cause the outside of the hose not to accurately reflect the inside status of the hose.

Also, folks really need to stay on top of the cooling system. Coolant contains additives that are used up as they protect the cooling system from corrosion. The depletion of these additives is not typically detected by normal coolant checks. Basically another component you should change every few years, simply because you want the anti-corrosion properties.

does the new hose you installed have a metal coil inside? those coils are there to prevent the hoses from collapsing completely restricting flow in case the hose ever goes into a vacuum state.

when i replaced the hoses on my 90 the replacement hoses did not have the spring in the lower hose, i was worried cuz my cousin pulled it out so i wanted to buy a new hose and they said the new hoses didnt have the spring in them, im guessing its because the coil collects deposits after a while and greatly restrict flow!!

i disconnected the w/p to thermo. hose and started the car, it wasn't flowing only spitting every few seconds.

then i pulled the coil out the lower hose, it didn't really look bad at all.

I started it back up and I'll tell you, that water was flowing like a river.

btw, i don't use antifreeze i use strictly water, here in new orleans it doesn't get cold enough most of the time to freeze water. i usually flush it out every 3 months and never have any rust. I also start my cars at least once a day though.

i think water is fine as long as you ue good filtered water, tap water has alot of other chemicals that would be bad!!

i always use tap water :)

anyway, I drove the car today to covington some 45 min away. Car ran at N the whole trip :)

me so happy :):p

Glad to hear it. Have you got the 351 car running and on the road yet? I use tap water in mine too. I put a bottle of water wetter in there too for good measure. Makes a good 10 degree difference in the summertime.

I live in Florida and I ALWAYS use antifreeze, not because it doesnt get cold here because it gets hot here, antifreeze raises the boiling point of water so your car doesnt boil over so easy. Antifreeze also helps prevent corosion and electrolysis which I suspect is why you are having problems with the spring in your lower hose. Some hoses have a spring installed in them some do not it depends on the manufacturer and how they make the hose as to wether it needs one or not to keep from colapsing.It saves a lot of freezeplug ,head gsket,and radiator replacement too.

You should always use at least some antifreeze. Corrosion will kill all the metal parts in your cooling system if you do not.

I used Water Wetter in my drag cars for years its purpose is to make water more able to transfer heat.It was intended for use in race cars which by definition doesnt mean long term use,it still doesnt address corrosion or boiling point issues.It is however a lot easier to clean up at the dragstrip after a spill.

You should always use at least some antifreeze. Corrosion will kill all the metal parts in your cooling system if you do not.
Amen to that brother.. I use 50/50 (filtered water/AF) here in Texas. I use tap water only in an emergency and drain out asap to keep calcium buildup and corrosion to a minimum.

un gonna have to check this out because my temp is a little funky but... it dont run that hot...

i seem to not get much water/coolent to the tstat housing were the coolent temp sensor is... but soon as the car is reved its fine.. that hose seems clear.. i can flow water thur it...

this seems like it could be causing my issue if its not getting enough coolent to the water pump... my top hose has been replace but i wanna say the bottom is factory well atleast it looks... time to replace.....

Back