HHmm...so should I transfer the balancer pin or not?

CaifanSC

SCCoA Member
The balancer snapped on the 95, im getting ready to install another OEM one (for now) and Im using a set of ASP underdrives. The snapped balancer had a pin, the one I'm installing does not. I've read both ways...suggestions?

The balancer snapped on the 95, im getting ready to install another OEM one (for now) and Im using a set of ASP underdrives. The snapped balancer had a pin, the one I'm installing does not. I've read both ways...suggestions?

CaifanSC

What do you mean pin? are talking keyway? if keyway the stock one is fine unless its rolled over meaning rounded from being beatin on. I ran the ASP underdrive with stock 90 balancer with no issues running 5800-6000rpm's. I am now running a fliudampr turning at 8500rpm's with heat treated double keyway

Last edited:
Pin as in the face of the balancer? Or key as in key in the crankshaft keyway?

No need for any pin if it was in the balancer. It is recommended that keys always be replaced... but when they are o.k., most folks don't replace them.

the pins on the face of the balancer, as far as I know they were used to balance the engine after assembly.

I'm not refering to the keyway. thanks for any help!

O.k... then I'd say no, not necessary for moving back. Though the only way to be sure is if you check the stock balancer for zero balance with and without the pins. No one ever got the definitive word from anyone on what the purpose of those pins was. Were they to final balance the pulley and balancer together, or final balance the entire spinning assembly.

If the motor is still OEM, then yes, transfer the pin(s) over to the replacement in the exact same position(s).

The whole balance issue regarding the Harmonic Balancer and crank pulley has grown into a myth over the years here. Just because Ford won't sell them seperately does not mean they are balanced together as a unit.

The crank pulley is neutral-balanced, and you often see the weight(s) welded onto the inner surface. Over time they rust (and sometimes fall off).

The Harmonic balancer is neutral-balanced as well. According to the Ford engineers, they used pins in the HB once the entire engine assembly was complete. They were very concerned about vibration and this was one more step in the assembly process to make sure the engines ran as smoothly as possible.

If you do a search you will see this has been answered before (and a whole lot of incorrect answers as well I might add :( )

Back