PDA

View Full Version : Grey 5spd Console, Ever see one?

getblown
05-25-2008, 10:26 AM
Ive been on the hunt for quite some time now and I'm still wondering if they were ever made. I want to keep the grey console like the auto was because the black just looks stupid in the car.

93 SC, was an auto until yesterday with a P6 interior code (everything is grey) and for the life of me I can't find pictures of one, let alone being able to find one thats for sale, if it even exists.

Have you ever seen one, have one or want to sell one?

jOe

DougD
05-25-2008, 10:50 AM
Can't help with your questions...but is there any reason a black one couldn't be painted the correct color? I do that all the time with interior parts

<shrug>

Cheers
DD

getblown
05-25-2008, 10:59 AM
Can't help with your questions...but is there any reason a black one couldn't be painted the correct color? I do that all the time with interior parts

<shrug>

Cheers
DD

I did it with the dash on a 95 I had a ways back, but it just chipped off even with a solvent wipe down, it chipped off and looked ok, but I noticed the chips and scratches where the paint flaked off.

I have been under the impretion that the parts like the top are (correct me if i'm wrong) poly-propylene and unlike the polyurethane bumpers it doesn enjoy being painted. If I can painted if and not be a problem I'm all over it, but i dont want the same bad results that came with the dash.

jOe

A1cntrler
05-25-2008, 11:03 AM
There are some special interior paints that are different than the bumper paints. I used some on my 2001 Sport Trac. It had some silver trim on the inside that was notorious for wearing off pretty bad in places. I got some of the interior trim parts paint and redid it, and it held up pretty well. I sold the truck about 18mos after I painted th parts, and when I sold it they still looked freshly repainted. Finding the color match might prove difficult though for your grey int...

getblown
05-25-2008, 11:24 AM
Finding the color match might prove difficult though for your grey int...

Another problem Ive thought about, I tried to match for the pillar pods and it turned out 1 or 2 shades to light, but I dont want it to look too off the wall if I paint it.

jOe

DougD
05-25-2008, 11:26 AM
Dashboards are especially tricky, yes....especially if they've ever been ArmorAll'd or similar.

For hard platic parts (such as console bodies) I've had very good luck with vinyl/plastic paints like you'd get at your regular parts store. True enough, if the item is exposed to "high traffic" wear and tear, it'll probbaly eventually wear or chip off. But, with a little bit of caution it'll last for years.

If you wanna get more serious, interior dyes from an outfit like this work really well.......

http://www.colorplus.com/

I've used their products many times and never had a chipping-off issue....even on seat leather. Send them a sample and they'll do a 99+% color match. A little expensive, though...about $100/pint....but a pint would probably do an entire interior.

Good luck
DD

Coast to Coast SC
05-25-2008, 11:48 AM
They are out there. This is from my old 93. Keep looking or dye as others are saying.
Good luck,
Anthony

getblown
05-25-2008, 12:02 PM
They are out there. This is from my old 93. Keep looking or dye as others are saying.
Good luck,
Anthony

HOLY CRAP... THEY DO EXIST!! You have just answered a question Ive had for years! Thank you and thats the same interior as my car now, I know your pain if you ever tried to find interior parts for it.

jOe

getblown
05-25-2008, 12:03 PM
Good luck,
Anthony

Haha, your horn button pops out of the center of the steering wheel too.

jOe

I ran over to the Depot and picked up a "Plastic Primer" its a Rustoleoum and says specifically on the back "...designed for polypropelyne...". So we'll see becuase in theory that means that any top coat should work within reason.

jOe

Flip
05-25-2008, 08:04 PM
Have one in my 93. :D

Jim Demmitt Jr
05-25-2008, 09:04 PM
Have one in my 93. :D

I seen one

Its was at Pick and Pull here Sacramento Red with Grey interior with console 5 speed. The poor car some must be Chevy guys tore the heck out of it things busted out for no reason. You know its a shame I see lots of perfect SC's in Pick and Pull's sad deal

no164ford
05-25-2008, 10:07 PM
I use to have one here I will check tomarrow, most likely I tossed it.

Ben999_
05-26-2008, 01:54 AM
Joe, when you painted the console did you scuff it up at all first? If you don't mind it being glossy, then you might try using a few coats and maybe clear coat for protection. You could use a matte clear as well. All that might be tough to match the color, but maybe worth a shot if you've got a spare laying around. Worst case scenario you have to sand and try again.

getblown
05-26-2008, 08:59 AM
Joe, when you painted the console did you scuff it up at all first? If you don't mind it being glossy, then you might try using a few coats and maybe clear coat for protection. You could use a matte clear as well. All that might be tough to match the color, but maybe worth a shot if you've got a spare laying around. Worst case scenario you have to sand and try again.

Yeah ben, like I was saying, I tried that polypropelyne paint by rustoleum and it seems to be holding up or at least not flaking off yet. I was using my finger nail to try and scrap it and got nothing off, but my color was too light (2-3 shades) so The Home depot didnt have my color or even close, so off to the auto stores or somewhere.

Id still much rather have a stock grey one.

jOe