ASAP spark plug help!

89DIRTYBIRD

I have an 89 SC I just bought a few weeks ago. I am changing spark plugs, starting on the driverside first. Got the back 2 done but cant get to the front one. Now I broke the plug wire and cant get to it without removing the lower intercooler tube. I unbolted the tube at both ends and even took out the stud and nut holding it onto the powersteering pump, but it still wont come out. Are there more bolts holding it or do I need to remove the alternator and powersteering pump ? This is my only car right now, I am do back at work on Tuesday, so any advice or help would be great.

Any tips for doing the pass. side? I tried doing a search but couldnt get a step by step process. Too broke to buy a chiltons right now. THanks guys!

.....the PS pump is in the way..sometimes you can wiggle the lower tube around enough to get in there.....you should be able to get the plug from the bottom,a stubby rachet is a good investment.....as for the passenger side,remove the a/c bolts and swing the compressor out of the way..makes it easier although I always did mine from the bottom.Be patient,take your time and you'll get them done................
Good Luck,
z

There is another bracket holding the IC tube and it is a royal PITA to get out. I suggest getting the right wrench so that you can get the plug out without removing the tube. It can be done, just a pain.

Spark plug sockets have flats on them. Put the socket on the plug. Then use an adjustable wrench to turn it.

This page walks you through one method to change spark plugs. There were probably a lot of threads here if you had searched.
http://www.35thatr.org/Tips/PlugsandWires.htm

Make sure you reseal that tube fully when putting the lower tube back on.

I did mine on the driver side no problem:confused: that front plug i put the socket and extention on it then i slipped the ratchet up there smashing my hand against the car while doing this it works tho.;)

Well the plug wire tore, I tried pulling the rest off with pliers and tore it more. I think its melted onto the plug at the base. Now I cant get to it from under the car, so I starting tearing everything off up top. The power steering pump is a monster, looks like it belongs on an F450, do they make smaller aftermarket pumps for these cars? Mine has a horrible whine anyways.
This has become a huge project now :(

Wires stick due to heat generated in the plug causing the compound to stick to the porcelain. dielectric compound or even WD-40 on the inside surface of the plug (not on the contact) is recommended to allow easy removal in the future.

The pump isn't that big. It's the bracket it is bolted to plus having room for the lines that are close to the steering rack input/output. Not to mention the reservoir.

the plugs really are not that difficult. You simply need to be methodical and cautious.

Pass. side!

I did those under the car and didn't have to move the A/c compressor or anything just need to find the right angle and where to put your hand.

Goodluck with everything!!!

Tom

It is RTV silicone sealant. I'm not sure what type to use specifically, but the color of the stuff on mine is sorta orange. Do a search and you'll probably find out. I've always avoided removing the IC tubes because it just seems like a pain in the butt. I was able to change all my plugs from underneath and on the pass. side also from top with the intake tube removed. Stubby ratchet is a good help.

Black RTV will work. I've been using Permatex Ultra Copper RTV simply because I've had it around for other uses.

Back