refreshed engine poor idle lacks power

Peterdroy66

Here's what has been done:
Hg's, complete engine refresh bearings.
Mild performance cam regrind, larger valves, ported heads, stronger valve springs.
Cleaned 30lb injectors.
Have been all over it and pretty confident there are no vacum leaks.

The idle is poor, and it is lacking power, running about 60% of normal power.

Data capture at hot idle, closed loop using EASE laptop connection:
880-900 rpm
Fuel pulse width is 2.4 mS
Timing is 10-12 degrees
Calculated engine load is 3%
Idle air control is 10% and 99mA current.

The timing is much lower than I think is normal, and the fuel Pulse width is longer than expected.
Also the MAF voltage is still zero according to EASE, so I have idea where the calculated engine load is coming from.
Short term trims are very negative, channel 2 is flat -100%, yet both 02's are switching normally (they are both new as well).

So I am stuck trying to gather data and I don't trust the results from the EASE software. My neighbor has an OTC Genisis Pathfinder system, we tried it and it would not communicate - would perform KOEO tests, but not show any datastream. I am going to call OTC tomorrow, he also has a snap-on system we will try.

My boost gauge is not working, so I had a cap on its port in the manifold. It drives ok, but lacking power, feels like it has about 60% of the power it should. Response of the boost gauge might help tell me something, but I think I have to pull the gauge cluster to fix it.

Any further thoughts?
Peter

The idle is poor, and it is lacking power, running about 60% of normal power.

Data capture at hot idle, closed loop using EASE laptop connection:
880-900 rpm
Fuel pulse width is 2.4 mS
Timing is 10-12 degrees
Calculated engine load is 3%
Idle air control is 10% and 99mA current.

Peter

Do you know if that is the commanded idle speed? I'd check for vac leaks. Do you feel your cam changes could be responsible for this idle behavior?

At 860 rpm my MAF voltage was .47v on a C&L 80mm MAF. Note the OTC system may be talking too fast for the DLC data. Pull the MAF connector off and see what the EASE software says or if the car will even run. If no change that may give you a clue.

You are gonna want to check engine vacuum as that will have an impact on idle. Pulling the dash is very easy. loosen the 4 nuts that hold the steering rack in position. This allows the rack to lower to gain clearance. remove the screws for the cover around the steering wheel and remove. remove the screws holding the dash cover on . Pull the dash cover off.
use torx bits to loosen the gauge pod. Pull it forward, disconnecting two harness connectors at the back, and the vacuum line at the back.

Back