Intake Tract Pressure Test

LarryH

I'm getting 8lbs of vacuum at idle on a built motor. Have pressurized the intake tract to 10lbs and fixed all the little leaks I can find but can hear that the compressor is providing a steady stream of air to keep intake at 10lbs.

If the intake is totally sealed would you expect the compressor to charge to 10lbs and stop or would it be normal for some air to be leaking by a cylinder or exhaust valve? In other words, would the intake, valves, and rings (on an intake open cylinder) be TOTALLY sealed??
Thanks!

L

You have valves that are open allowing air to escape to the cylinders. The rings do seal, but not 100%. Plus you have overlap with the intake and exhaust valves. You may be able to go to the rear of the car and hear the air coming out. Plus, you have air passing the throttle body and going back to the air filter area.

OK, so the valves would overlap and release through the exhaust. I was wondering about that. The intake is sealed at the TB so nothing going to the filter though. Thanks

I would imagine some would leak through the oil breather lines and seals at the valve covers or the valve cover to head seals, also perhaps the egr leaking some due to crud buildup.

Back