Ok funky things...

Young-SC-Owner

List of small issues not mechanical by any means but wondering...
1. Do not need to depress brakes to start car.
2. Does not lock when put into D
3. Does not DING when key is in, or lights left on.

Any idea on where to look?
Or whats up?

-Tony

1. It shouldn't.
2. It shouldn't.
3. I'd bet the chime module is either unplugged by a previous owner, or simply needs to be replaced.

-Rod

Pull down the glove box past its stops and the door ding harness is on the left I believe. I unhooked mine when I disabled the power seatbelts because it went off while the doors were closed. I thought only the 90 autos had to push the brake to start? It shouldn't lock in "D" normally.

ok i can faintly hear a ding, must be junk....
I thought it was supposed to do the other stuff,,...ive been wring before

In my 90 auto the brake does need to be pressed down to start the car, but in 89_whitebirdy's 89 auto the brake does not need to be pressed to start it. So maybe it is just a thing with the 90 autos. I've heard about the doors locking automatically, but not exactly sure how they do it. I thought I read somewhere that it was only in 5spd cars when the car was put in gear...? I don't know. I also thought I read somewhere that the control module for that feature was under the driver's seat... Again, I could be wrong...:rolleyes:

the automatic locking seats were never available on the 5spds and i also thought that it was not available on the sc's due to the fact that there was a 5spd option. However on my 94 the doors do lock once the car is put into gear, i had a 90 5spd that didnt not autolock, and my cousin has a 90 auto which also does not autolock!! Maybe it was available on the later models regardless??? My cousins sc however needs the brake pedal depressed to start the car

funky

if you have your owners manual, there are instructions to enable/disable the autolock feature using the keyless entry. on my 94 it is explained beginning on page 134
john

Ditto to what Nascar John says. You can turn the autolock feature on or off as you please, if you have the keyless entry. (The keypad on the door.)

And ditto to what the previous posters said - 1990 was the only year in which you had to step on the brake to start the car. I think there was a safety scare that led to that.

I believe that you are correct. I have never seen autolock in a car without the keypad. (I mean Fords of this vintage, not GM or other cars.)

Back