Shelby Insider New's

2009 Shelby GT500KR Gets The Green Light For Production

Team Shelby - To compliment the one-thousand 2008 40th-Anniversary Edition Shelby GT500KR “King of the Road” Mustangs, Ford and Shelby Automobiles announce that an additional 746 units will be built for the 2009 model year to help meet worldwide demand of the supercar. Of that total, 571 units will be available for U.S. customers thus equaling the 1,571-unit production run of the original Shelby GT500KR. The remainder of the units will be for countries that did not receive 2008 models, including Canada.

“The response to this car has been overwhelming, so I’m glad we can share it with more Mustang enthusiasts,” said Carroll Shelby. “This car is really special to me and demonstrates that when Shelby Automobiles gets together with Ford SVT and Ford Racing, we can deliver a Mustang that will compete with the best in the world.”

Like the 40th-Anniversary limited edition, the 2009 Shelby GT500KR will feature a 540-hp 5.4-liter supercharged V-8 with a Ford Racing Power Upgrade Pack, 3.73:1 rear axle ratio, short-throw shifter, and unique suspension tuning. Exterior design draws inspiration from the classic Shelby KR Mustangs and features unique carbon composite hood, wheels, and unique striping.

The unique 40th Anniversary badging will only be featured on the 2008 special edition.

The Shelby GT500KR or “King of the Road” Mustang is the fourth limited-edition Mustang that Shelby Automobiles and Ford have brought to market since resuming their collaboration in 2001. It builds on the performance and success of the 500-horsepower Shelby GT500 – the most powerful production Mustang ever.

“If you drive a Shelby Mustang, you are part of something special: a 40-year history of legendary racing and street cars,” says Robert Parker, Ford Division Car marketing manager. “That’s what is driving interest in the GT500KR among enthusiasts around the world.”

Delivering the “King of the Road”
The 2008 Shelby GT500KR began production on Carroll Shelby’s 85th birthday on January 11 earlier this year. As production ramps up to launch, enthusiasts can expect to see the first GT500KRs arrive in dealers this spring.

Each Shelby GT500KR begins life as a GT500, built at AutoAlliance International Inc., in Flat Rock, Mich. From there, the cars are shipped to the Shelby Automobile facility in Las Vegas, where a Ford Racing Performance Pack, exhaust system and short-throw shifter are installed. The GT500KR also is fitted with unique body, chassis and interior components. Every GT500KR will be hand customized and delivered to each customer in an enclosed transporter, just like the legendary Ford GT.

The strong demand for the new Shelby GT500KR was recently demonstrated at the Barrett-Jackson Collector Car Auction in Scottsdale, Arizona where a one-of-a-kind version built with a glass-roof was auctioned off for charity. The GT500KR sold with a winning bid of $550,000, which went toward helping the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation.

Attachments

• gt500kr1.jpg
    gt500kr1.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 143
  • gt500kr2.jpg
    gt500kr2.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 130
  • gt500kr3.jpg
    gt500kr3.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 131
Last edited:
here in VA,the dealor ship that get the shelby mustang has a $1.000.00 gas tax included in the price.they wont sell them,they auction the car,brings more money.

here in VA,the dealor ship that get the shelby mustang has a $1.000.00 gas tax included in the price.they wont sell them,they auction the car,brings more money.

Pap

My SVT 2000 Cobra R price was $100K the dealership owner we talked it over and bought it for $56K. This the same deal each dealership gets one to put on the showroom floor. On my SVT 2000 Cobra R only a few SVT ford dealerships got one and if you had enough BIG CASH you could buy it

Holy crap man. So what you are saying is you walked into the dealer to buy a 100k car, and didn't want to pay it, so you swindled the guy out of $44k?? I find that hard to believe. Most dealers won't even come off of the bogus $400 processing fee, let alone $44,000.00 just by "talking" to him.. If I were the dealer and you came in and offered me that amount on something I had listed for $100k, you would be walking right back out the door empty handed. If he could get 100k for it, then someone would come along that was willing to pay that.

Even thought the MSRP for this model was about $54,000, I doubt he would sell that car for a profit of $2k. He makes that selling a used Explorer every day.

Maybe you offered him some services in exchange for getting that price?? Heck, I may:eek: even do that for that car lol...

Personally I would rather have a 1993 Cobra R. Just a bigger fan of the Fox body than the newer curvy stang..

Last edited:
Holy crap man. So what you are saying is you walked into the dealer to buy a 100k car, and didn't want to pay it, so you swindled the guy out of $44k?? I find that hard to believe. Most dealers won't even come off of the bogus $400 processing fee, let alone $44,000.00 just by "talking" to him.. If I were the dealer and you came in and offered me that amount on something I had listed for $100k, you would be walking right back out the door empty handed. If he could get 100k for it, then someone would come along that was willing to pay that.

Even thought the MSRP for this model was about $54,000, I doubt he would sell that car for a profit of $2k. He makes that selling a used Explorer every day.

Maybe you offered him some services in exchange for getting that price?? Heck, I may:eek: even do that for that car lol...

Personally I would rather have a 1993 Cobra R. Just a bigger fan of the Fox body than the newer curvy stang..

My 2000 Cobra R we bought at Seramonte Ford the car was the dealership owners baby his son wanted him to sell it to make room for than 2003 Cobras. This 2000 Cobra R is one out of only 300 built. My dad talked to the owner beteen my dad and the owners son we bought it for $56K. Its a collectors car with only 30 miles on it If you go into my web page you will see it

Last edited:
I liked the 100th anniversary event at Ford where the SVT guys were doin burnouts with a 2000 R and beatin the living crap out of it. Jim you gotta drive that car. Tom Scarpello or O.J. Colletti would slap you if they knew that car only had 30 miles on it. If you wanted a model I gotta pretty nice Maitso 1:18th scale that does the same thing.

I liked the 100th anniversary event at Ford where the SVT guys were doin burnouts with a 2000 R and beatin the living crap out of it. Jim you gotta drive that car. Tom Scarpello or O.J. Colletti would slap you if they knew that car only had 30 miles on it. If you wanted a model I gotta pretty nice Maitso 1:18th scale that does the same thing.

My plans

I want to take it to Laguna Seca for the SVT meet take a few laps on the track the last time it was out was Infinion thats where I put those miles on it. Its a neat car has a fuel cell air ducks to the brakes for cooling its built for racing. I had so many other things going on never had time to run it

Last edited:
30 miles on it,i would keep it as low as possable,since the resto on my 71 the odometer has 5 miles on it.in my teen years,my dad had a 64 chevy impala with 3000 miles on it.he sold it to a dealer in Danville VA,30 miles from Martinsville.today it still sits in showroom roped off,with the original miles.i always dreamed to have that car.

After reading my post I sorta sounded like an ahole. I think low ultra low mile cars are neat but just not my thing. My dad sorta indoctrinated me with the belief of "whats the point of having it if you dont drive it?" It always awes people when they see him drive his 67 Gt-500 around as much as he does. He is almost sad in a way that the value of his "old mustangs" has gone up so much, your half afraid to drive them knowing they are worth more than my parents house. He used to drive them a lot more before the big boom in prices. He did get out the 69 Gt-500 convertible and took me and my cousins for a ride this year. I am tryin to convince him to let me take the 69 SCJ R Mach 1 drag pack car to the strip, since my bro and me bought him new tires for it last christmas. we'll see he's afraid I'll break it, the motor was built by the engine shop that built engines for Joe Amato back in the day but he never dyno'd it or took it to the strip to see what shes got. :rolleyes: The only thing i know is ive never ridden in a car that is just so violently torquey and the sound of a Cobra Jet at full tilt gives me goosebumps, almost as cool as the scream of a roots blower.

After reading my post I sorta sounded like an ahole. I think low ultra low mile cars are neat but just not my thing. My dad sorta indoctrinated me with the belief of "whats the point of having it if you dont drive it?" It always awes people when they see him drive his 67 Gt-500 around as much as he does. He is almost sad in a way that the value of his "old mustangs" has gone up so much, your half afraid to drive them knowing they are worth more than my parents house. He used to drive them a lot more before the big boom in prices. He did get out the 69 Gt-500 convertible and took me and my cousins for a ride this year. I am tryin to convince him to let me take the 69 SCJ R Mach 1 drag pack car to the strip, since my bro and me bought him new tires for it last christmas. we'll see he's afraid I'll break it, the motor was built by the engine shop that built engines for Joe Amato back in the day but he never dyno'd it or took it to the strip to see what shes got. :rolleyes: The only thing i know is ive never ridden in a car that is just so violently torquey and the sound of a Cobra Jet at full tilt gives me goosebumps, almost as cool as the scream of a roots blower.

I know you ment well

I know what you mean if you done injoy them and let them site never know you may die and someone els will enjoy them for you. I had a 70 Mach 1 SCJ 428 drag pack 4 speed it was fun to drive won a few shows with it color was poppy Red raced it at Sears Point. I have a 69 Boss 429 Mustang KK 1708 its in resto Royal Moroon with black interior all numbers matching that will be collectors good value with the Cobra R and 63 1/2 427 Galaxie XL R code. I still want to get a 65 Mustang Fastback K code

I know you ment well

I know what you mean if you done injoy them and let them site never know you may die and someone els will enjoy them for you. I had a 70 Mach 1 SCJ 428 drag pack 4 speed it was fun to drive won a few shows with it color was poppy Red raced it at Sears Point. I have a 69 Boss 429 Mustang KK 1708 its in resto Royal Moroon with black interior all numbers matching that will be collectors good value with the Cobra R and 63 1/2 427 Galaxie XL R code. I still want to get a 65 Mustang Fastback K code

My uncle sold his 69 Wimbeldon White Boss 429 a few years back for $80k all numbers matching, all it needed was a fresh paint job. He painted it in laquer and after 4-5 years the paint looked like a cracked hard boiled egg. The body work was perfect. He is kickin himself now when i show him the $250k-$300k+ but my dad and uncles tried to talk him out of sellin but he thought the market was gonna fall out on them. O well its hard to speculate on what prices are gonna do.
My grand-dads 68 Gt-350 convertible has 289 hipo heads on it but we arent sure if someone just swapped the heads on it or put a whole K-code engine in, the balancer is not the fat one like the K code but the heads are def the right numbers for the hipo engine. Its got a lunati big cam in it but the torque converter and airplane gears in the rearend dont give the car much grunt down low, but it does scream on the high end.
Did you ever run the 70 mach at the strip? and what kind of numbers did it run if so? What rpms to launch at? What is the best shift point for the 428 SCJ and any other info you'd like to share would be interesting.

Mark

My uncle sold his 69 Wimbeldon White Boss 429 a few years back for $80k all numbers matching, all it needed was a fresh paint job. He painted it in laquer and after 4-5 years the paint looked like a cracked hard boiled egg. The body work was perfect. He is kickin himself now when i show him the $250k-$300k+ but my dad and uncles tried to talk him out of sellin but he thought the market was gonna fall out on them. O well its hard to speculate on what prices are gonna do.
My grand-dads 68 Gt-350 convertible has 289 hipo heads on it but we arent sure if someone just swapped the heads on it or put a whole K-code engine in, the balancer is not the fat one like the K code but the heads are def the right numbers for the hipo engine. Its got a lunati big cam in it but the torque converter and airplane gears in the rearend dont give the car much grunt down low, but it does scream on the high end.
Did you ever run the 70 mach at the strip? and what kind of numbers did it run if so? What rpms to launch at? What is the best shift point for the 428 SCJ and any other info you'd like to share would be interesting.

Mark

Mark

I know the price on the Boss 429 cars are high even parts for one will hurt your wallet Steve Strange and others get top dollar for them. I did take the 70 Mach 1 to Sears Point for the GoodGuys Muscle car show and drags. It won first place in Ford Factory Muscle in the show than between judging I took it to the track. I put the drag slicks on Firestones I did a nice burnout staged it left at 5800 rpm's shifted at 6900 rpm's spun in 2nd a bit still went through the lights with a 12.251et with air cleaner element in the shaker worked good. It had the Holman Moody L1P1 cam and GT500 aluminum intake

Last edited:
When i was running the cobra 429SCJ 4SPEED 1st would run it up to 6 on the tac,2nd-3rd would red line it 4th it was gone,would red line it in 4th.we have some long straight country roads out here,great for streat raceing.

We had two 2000 Cobra R's come through my dealership that year. Sticker price was just under 55,000. Jim is lying again. We all know he doesnt have a dime in that car...his father did. Along with the rest of them. Man is his crap getting old...

Lying?

Here is the window sticker price I hate when people call me a lier when in fact they are here is your proof below always get your facts together before posting. When you read a window sticker price always read ( Dealers asking Price )

Attachments

• Dcp_1899.jpg
    Dcp_1899.jpg
    161.5 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
Jim can you take some pics of the your sc I would love to see them and I know others would too. I can get some pics of the family cars up here.

Last edited:
Back