Where to purchase scanner ?

David Neibert

SCCoA Admin
I borrowed a scanner thingy from Dave Dalke a couple months ago that allowed me to plug into the EEC test port of my 91 SC. In addition to reading codes I could do live monitoring of numerous parameters. Stuff like spark timing, fuel trim, maf voltage, coolant temp, rpm, air charge temp, IAC duty cycle ect...ect..

I've also seen a differnt style used by Brian Herron back when he was tuning with Diablo chips that could monitor all the same stuff. Just looked a lot more modern and had a rotary dial.

I'd like to get one of these gadgets, but don't know where to look.

David

I borrowed a scanner thingy from Dave Dalke a couple months ago that allowed me to plug into the EEC test port of my 91 SC. In addition to reading codes I could do live monitoring of numerous parameters. Stuff like spark timing, fuel trim, maf voltage, coolant temp, rpm, air charge temp, IAC duty cycle ect...ect..

I've also seen a differnt style used by Brian Herron back when he was tuning with Diablo chips that could monitor all the same stuff. Just looked a lot more modern and had a rotary dial.

I'd like to get one of these gadgets, but don't know where to look.

David

Does this "scanner thingy" have a manufacturer or model number per chance?? Maybe someone knows because you don't or we wouldn't be having this conversation :rolleyes:

Or is this just another Team David trick post to mislead us all ????:eek:

Ira

Does this "scanner thingy" have a manufacturer or model number per chance?? Maybe someone knows because you don't or we wouldn't be having this conversation :rolleyes:

Or is this just another Team David trick post to mislead us all ????:eek:

Ira

Ira,

The one I borrowed from Dave Dalke said something like ScanII on the case and looked like it worked on several makes/models. I don't think they are in production anymore. Dave said he used to see them for sale (used) on ebay but not seeing them now. I don't know who made the one Brian was using..might of been Diablo.

Team David post are all serious stuff, but only when I'm talking about racing :cool:

David

Ira,

The one I borrowed from Dave Dalke said something like ScanII on the case and looked like it worked on several makes/models. I don't think they are in production anymore. Dave said he used to see them for sale (used) on ebay but not seeing them now. I don't know who made the one Brian was using..might of been Diablo.
Yea, okay, We've had this conversation before because I remember I went looking on EBay as well. Sorry then. I've got nothing. I thought it would be a helpful tool then and still do if we can find them.

Team David post are all serious stuff, but only when I'm talking about racing :cool:
David
Right. Sorry. Didn't mean to offend. I'll be better in the future. Please don't send the boyz...... really.... i mean it....

Ira

Snap-on Tools

David,

look up a Snap-On dealer close to your house and give them a shout..

Tom

autoxray

When my old 89 died in Iowa on my NY trip a local mechanic had one. He hooked it to my diagnostic port in the engine bay. Let me play with it as the engine was idleing with no bearings left. There was stuff like power stearing pressure, engine coolant temp, air charge temp, timing, rpm, mph, map sensor stuff, tps voltage, alt voltage, injector duty time and some other stuff. He said it cost about $800 when he bought it. I'm looking for a cheap used one as well.

You need an automotive scanner that can read OBDI and OBDII codes plus Ford DLC data. Preferably and older unit, as newer ones expect OBDII ports to output the DLC data.

Snap On MT2500 with proper cartridge and keys.
OTC Monitor 4000 Enhanced with 95 or later pathfinder cartridge.
OTC Genisys
Others.. Dave had something I haven't seen before.. maybe he will name it and you can search for a used one.

Note that the OTC4000 Enhanced is different than an OTC4000E. The E won't cut it. Figure $350 in cost minimum.

one that might work.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OTC-...29644QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW#ebayphotohosting

Last edited:
800???

When my old 89 died in Iowa on my NY trip a local mechanic had one. He hooked it to my diagnostic port in the engine bay. Let me play with it as the engine was idleing with no bearings left. There was stuff like power stearing pressure, engine coolant temp, air charge temp, timing, rpm, mph, map sensor stuff, tps voltage, alt voltage, injector duty time and some other stuff. He said it cost about $800 when he bought it. I'm looking for a cheap used one as well.

Where is that at man????These things go for min. 4-5,000 for the good ones that I have seen!!!!But maybe I'm wrong?????

2-3,000 For the newer ones
I bought a lower not as good for 260.00 but it can't do all that other goody stuff!!!!
From Snap-On and I'm sure you can get one from MAC as well!
Tom

Last edited:
I bought the Actron CP9190 from Artic tools, on Ebay. So far I have used it on my 91 Firebird. I am very pleased with the tool and seller. It was about $259.00 w/ free shipping. OBD 1 and 2, CAN

I bought the Actron CP9190 from Artic tools, on Ebay. So far I have used it on my 91 Firebird. I am very pleased with the tool and seller. It was about $259.00 w/ free shipping. OBD 1 and 2, CAN

Something like this is what I had in mind, but it doesn't say how many functions you can display at one time or much else about the earlier model stuff like my 91. There are also numerous bad reviews complaining about how it frequently locks up. What does CAN mean ?

My main use would be for helping to gather data for long distance tuning or to help trouble shoot problems. Does anyone have info on the scanner from snap-on ?

David

They have never dealt with Team David before.

Tom,

Even if that unit was being produced, I think I'd rather have something that can display stuff independent of my wife's laptop and can be used on other people's cars easily. Being able to plug into OBD II stuff like my kid's cars would also be helpful.

David

Last edited:
Blue-Point

I have the blue-point one from Snap-On YA3120
OBD2&1 you can plug into computer port and also laptop
Comes with connections for GM,Ford,Toyota,Lexus
Has KOEO-KOER-Timing Check-Clylinder Balance Test-Output State Test-Wiggle Test-Emissions Test-and a few others
paid 260.00

CAN means Controller Area Network

Tom

I have the blue-point one from Snap-On YA3120
OBD2&1 you can plug into computer port and also laptop
Comes with connections for GM,Ford,Toyota,Lexus
Has KOEO-KOER-Timing Check-Clylinder Balance Test-Output State Test-Wiggle Test-Emissions Test-and a few others
paid 260.00

CAN means Controller Area Network

Tom

What Dave is looking for is one that can read the DLC codes. This is a stream of data the computer sends out in a serial stream to the diagnostic connector.

The R.A.C.E. System has been out of service for years. You have to find used ones. And then you need to re-pin it for our cars.

The Moates stuff is supposed to do this with the Ostrich 2.0 but it will require a template or something to figure out what the serial stream says. (it just reads the stream, it doesn't know what it means)

the EASE software system that works with a laptop is supposed to be able to read the DLC stuff. Again, while most EEC-IV computers in the SC are supposed to be able to provide the DLC info, not all of them will necessarily do it.

I got a OTC Monitor 4000E for about $180(when you include the $40 in shipping) which also does what all the tests. But it can't handle the OBDI DLC info. (It can read it from a OBDII EEC with the Pathworks 97 cartridge and an OBDII add on device.)

What Dave is looking for is one that can read the DLC codes. This is a stream of data the computer sends out in a serial stream to the diagnostic connector.

The R.A.C.E. System has been out of service for years. You have to find used ones. And then you need to re-pin it for our cars.

The Moates stuff is supposed to do this with the Ostrich 2.0 but it will require a template or something to figure out what the serial stream says. (it just reads the stream, it doesn't know what it means)

the EASE software system that works with a laptop is supposed to be able to read the DLC stuff. Again, while most EEC-IV computers in the SC are supposed to be able to provide the DLC info, not all of them will necessarily do it.

I got a OTC Monitor 4000E for about $180(when you include the $40 in shipping) which also does what all the tests. But it can't handle the OBDI DLC info. (It can read it from a OBDII EEC with the Pathworks 97 cartridge and an OBDII add on device.)

This is starting to sound like it will be more difficult to find than I first thought :(

We have the EASE system at the house. It works on my 1991 but does not work on the 95. After dealing for nearly a year with the 'developers are working on it' we gave up with it ever working on the 95. It does pick up some cool things on the 91, you can monitor it live or record it for future playback in different views. If your not in a rush (and you remind me) I'll bring it down to the S/C shoot out and you can check it out.

Back