Broke a new ford balencer.

1990XR7SC

As the title says. Just broke it bout a few hrs ago. Now before i decide to sell this thing off and just say i quit, I need HARD evidence that a BHJ can fix the broke balencer blues. This is the 4th one in bout 3 mounths. So yeah im frustrated and to the point where i could send the car down the road. But again i don't want to do that. So if anyone has detailed info on the BHJ id appreciate it. All i am looking for is something that can tell me that it will fix the balencer issues. But i do need to justify spending 400 bucks on it. Yeah it gets my car back up and running but how long does one last and all that? But any info would be greatly apreciated right now since i am at my wits end.
Thanks
John

John what part of the OEM balancer are you breaking? Is it the same location each time?

I would look at why you continue to break the OEM ones before investing money in anything else. Were all the OEM dampers you broke new? Could it be an install issue? What TQ setting were they set to? Any belt alignment/pulley alignment issues causing stress on the crank pulley?

well im wating for the car to be towed back to my father inlaws shop to tear into it but when i felt it it felt like it broke right where the last one did. The snout on the balencer. i almost think its a possible imballance. or it didn't seat properly. But i won't know till its back apart. and yes its gonna be parked till i can figure this out and afford it.

Pablon2.. This one was a oem replacement. THe last ones that broke were used with milage unknown. Its possible but i havent done anything wrong. Used the proper tools to remove them and put em on. unless my makeshift tool i made to put em on is not setting em right.

Last edited:
What makeshift tool do you speak of? I don't know of any to install but to remove you have to use a puller. When installing I've just lubed up the crank and slid it on and torque to specs, then made sure the my paint marks line up between the pulley and balancer.

well i used a bolt that fit in the crank with a washer and nut and tightened it till it stopped then gave it a good wrenching and made sure everything was good after running it for a few days. not too sure on torque specs on it. But also the bolt was new this time around and they never broke.

yup made sure everything was good. nothing rubbing abd everything is dead on. But i was reading how it trashes the crank sensor well this one is good and the car still starts up fine. and i have one from wehn it broke before that is good too. and the bolt isn't broken just the snout of the balencer. odd huh? Want something more strange? When i bought the car i could drive it but i couldn't since the bolts that held the crank pully to the balencer borke and trashed 2 pullys. How odd is that?

Maybe your crank shaft is a little larger than stock......

I have re-used a stock balancer on 3 different engines will no problems.....

It is still running today......:p

Have you measured the diameter of the crank snout and the inside diameter of the balancer to verify that you have the proper interference fit.....

If you are breaking balancers then you most likely have an imbalance problem. I assume the last damper was purchased as a set with the pulley and you did not change the pulley as they are balanced as a pair.

The BHJ will solve the balancer problem but if you have an imbalance (or a bent crankshaft) then the failure will move on to the next weakest link... You really have nothing left to do but put on a BHJ and hope for the best. Be sure to properly fit the new balancer before installing it.

Heres a crazy thought but I had it happen with my 90SC. Check the crank pulley and see if it still has the balance weight on it. If not, that could very well be the problem. They have been know to fall off do to rust.

Once you find the problem you should invest the money into a BHJ balancer. I put one on my 90 and later transfered it to my 92SC. It really nice having the security that the outer ring wouldn't get loose and fly off as I was flyin down the road.

Back